Rear lighting with tube bumper/dovetail bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Figured I may as well look into this as well. Current setup is Alpharex red smoked taillights running some extremely bright reverse bulbs, Baja Designs S2 white work/scene lights mounted into the Evil Offroad Banshee bumper (hooked up to reverse and Aux 4), LED license plate lights that came with the Evil Offroad bumper, and GJ Motorsports third brake light with Baja Designs S2 amber driving/combo lights on the outside and Baja Designs S2 white work/scene light in the middle (ambers hooked up to fog lamp switch, white hooked up to reverse and Aux 4). From what I've seen this is pretty much what most guys are running, and also will give me the proper trail/event lighting in the rear to be "legal" as well.

Curious your guys' thoughts if there's any other recommended lighting for the rear.

EDIT: In case anyone asks I decided not to run the amber S2's as turn signals as I think that's pretty overkill, especially if you're just driving on the street. I think the Alpharex tail lights are plenty visible for turn signals.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Running the GJ 3rd brake light with S2s. Pair of S2 on top of the bed, and a pair of Rigid for back up lighting.

View attachment 366741

What's the reason for the S2's on the top of the bed? My GJ Motorsports third brake light is setup with the same lights, just need to get it all installed one of these days. Your backup lights are mounted the same setup as I currently have in the Evil Offroad bumper.

It seems like with the S2's in the bumper, the clear S2 in the third brake light, and the bright LED's in the tails that should be plenty of rear/reverse lighting. With the amber S2's in the third brake light that should be plenty of chase lighting for events. I feel like the Alpharex tails are plenty bright for the brake and turn signals too, those are probably lights that don't need to be nearly as crazy as the rest since they're mostly for on-road stuff. I'm thinking I may wire the amber S2's in the third brake light to also function as a rear fog light so that they come on with my front amber fog lights as well.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
What's the reason for the S2's on the top of the bed? My GJ Motorsports third brake light is setup with the same lights, just need to get it all installed one of these days. Your backup lights are mounted the same setup as I currently have in the Evil Offroad bumper.

It seems like with the S2's in the bumper, the clear S2 in the third brake light, and the bright LED's in the tails that should be plenty of rear/reverse lighting. With the amber S2's in the third brake light that should be plenty of chase lighting for events. I feel like the Alpharex tails are plenty bright for the brake and turn signals too, those are probably lights that don't need to be nearly as crazy as the rest since they're mostly for on-road stuff. I'm thinking I may wire the amber S2's in the third brake light to also function as a rear fog light so that they come on with my front amber fog lights as well.

The S2 on top of the bed are for rear scene lighting, working behind the truck. Is it overkill? Sure. But I already had the lights. The ambers were there before the brake light.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The S2 on top of the bed are for rear scene lighting, working behind the truck. Is it overkill? Sure. But I already had the lights. The ambers were there before the brake light.

Makes sense then. I can't run the lights there on the bed anyways with the Softtopper, but from what I'm seeing I shouldn't really need anymore lights than what will be on there - work/scene clear S2's in the bumper and middle of the GJ third brake light (rear/bed lighting), driving/combo amber S2's on outside of the GJ third brake light (chase/rear fog lighting), super bright LED reverse bulbs in the tails (reverse lighting), bright LED license plate bulbs (custom ones that came with the Banshee bumper), and the Alphrarex red smoked tails. Looks like that's probably about all I should need then.