Rear License plate screws

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spooky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size/type the screws are for the rear license plate? The dealer supplied machine screws to hold the plate on, but it seems like the threaded insert is a rubber or plastic material. Most of my other vehicles used a wood type screw.

LennyMoe

Reaction score
Initial guess without taking my off to measure would be 1/4-20 self-tapping hex head bolt. Not sure on the length.

Edit: After measuring mine with a tape measure (calipers are on my desk at work), I would say it's closer to a 5/16-18 x 5/8" slotted hex head self-tapping screw, but I can't be 100% without a caliper. @Spooky

Last edited:

CACRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that #14 x 3/4" will work. I ordered/use safety torx head screws to replace the the stock ones so that nobody would steal my Astros plates.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the plastic strips out on our $80K trucks….. GM has an insert that uses 6mm machine screws. It taps in with a hammer and expands. I don’t have a GM number but I got it at a local automotive paint supplier. It works ok, just don’t over tighten and you just gotta have the nerve to drill about 3/8 diameter holes in your bumper. But, I’m wondering if we are better off drilling and filing square holes and using the Ford license plate insert. I ran into this on a Shelby Mustang where a shop guy drilled holes that were too big on a replacement bumper. Another premium Ford vehicle with an incredibly cheap situation.

Last edited:

jjws1968

Reaction score
I had screws from Ford in a little plastic bag i believe in my glove box when i took delivery couple weeks ago.