Rear Leaf Springs expected life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are the deavers and icons holding up against rust? I’ve read where that’s a problem.
It's steel and it's exposed to oxidation ... what could be the problem? What exactly did you hear happened?

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's steel and it's exposed to oxidation ... what could be the problem? What exactly did you hear happened?
They rust and corrode considerably more than stock Is the concern. Read it here. Looking for the difference between the various leaves and the coating and rust prevention they have.

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They rust and corrode considerably more than stock Is the concern. Read it here. Looking for the difference between the various leaves and the coating and rust prevention they have.
You shouldn't have to worry about the rust of the arc sheets, I replaced the originals with DENVER because the originals are not for heavy loads.

Attachments

• 1634036760440_263785.jpg
    1634036760440_263785.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 53

daytraitors

Reaction score
If you're wondering how long the stock springs last, my left pack cracked at around 10 years and 160k miles. This is with average to above average rust and towing over stock capacity (16ft cargo trailer) about 1500 miles with helper springs. I loaded a pallet of roofing shingles with the helper springs, and the bump stops engaged. I tried driving like 2 miles at 25mph then turned around returned that pallet.

If you push your truck, I don't see how it won't be a similar experience to what I had. They'll last at least 150k miles and 10 years. If you are in Florida and never go offroad or carry a payload I'm sure the springs will last 300k mi and 20 years.

FWIW I didn't want to get custom springs, so I went with OE replacement 3/1 leaf packs from Rock Auto. Lift is too high, so I'm going to remove the spacers and install shorter u bolts to get it closer to stock level. If it looks great maybe I'll share a writeup.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the rear Deavers make the truck ride a lot smoother? My truck feels like a old 3/4 ton pick up.

I'd suspect the SDs do as I seem to recall they are slightly softer than stock spring rate. However I have no experience with those. My +2 HDs ride is slightly rougher over smaller imperfections in the road, but so little that after a couple days didn't and still do not notice anymore. It's almost like putting a coilover kit on a street car that had a squishy ride. As a side, although I felt the initial increase in the rate, all the shenanigans that they got under control made them seem "smoother" but a little more "taunt".

I can't see anyone regretting the SDs for any reason other than they wanted more load capability. Otherwise, it's all pluses as far as ride and control.