Rear end oil bad!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
At dealership now. Rear diff oil is black and nasty. Should this happen I thought these were sealed? Should it be covered under warranty. Only 41k miles

hatfield44

Reaction score
Diff oil darkens with use like any other oil. Does it smell burnt? At 41K I would expect it to be black. Black is always bettter than milky (water in the oil). Diff can't be sealed completely (has to vent somewhere). I think factory warranty dies at 36K.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to change it regularly. Even more often if you "use" your Raptor. I change the gear box fluid in my race cars 2-3 times a year.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rear end oil is nasty even when new! Smell a new bottle. Black is fine like said above milky is bad.

OP
OP
whtrapta

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Ok. I just heard these are sealed and didn't know when or if it needs to be serviced. I probably will put redline so it's good for a lot longer

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Although I thought you had sheared an axle a while back, so the fluid is as old as that repair... I'm doing mine (and the T-case) at least every 20-25k. I also want to do a mag hytec cover, it holds a little more fluid, and has a drain plug. The factory cover has to be pulled to drain the fluid.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not fond of the "sealed" design at all. There's a fill plug but no drain plug. The only way to drain the thing is to pull the cover. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I ask you, whom does that benefit? Not the owner.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do the fronts diff of the 2012's need to be flushed? If so, what intervals?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Although I thought you had sheared an axle a while back, so the fluid is as old as that repair... I'm doing mine (and the T-case) at least every 20-25k. I also want to do a mag hytec cover, it holds a little more fluid, and has a drain plug. The factory cover has to be pulled to drain the fluid.

Pirate,

Do you have a link for the cover?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score