Rear End Binding Up When Slowing Down or Taking Off Slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Have another beer bud:birgits_tiredcoffee!

Deaver springs will eliminate the Ford block - but may not alleviate the axle wrap. You have to choose whether you want to lose travel in the rear end, or stiffen it up to improve performance in other aspects of offroading

no but really. Deaver Suspension

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Most trucks will experience wheel hop be it on pavement or sand, most of it has to do with the lack of weight in the rear. A car, say a Mustang, can do burnout's all day and not get wheel hop but that's because they're suspension is set up for scenarios like that. A truck, especially with softer springs, has little weight in the back and therefore not alot of anything to plant the power down. The result is suspension/axle rising up, tire spinning and actually lifting itself......all of this in a blink of the eye and you have wheel hop. The same pretty much goes for being in the sand or snow......the tire can initially make a ramp for itself, go up it, weight is lifted just a bit and it comes back down spinning another hole/ramp......all of this really fast and....you guessed it, wheel hop.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Most trucks will experience wheel hop be it on pavement or sand, most of it has to do with the lack of weight in the rear. A car, say a Mustang, can do burnout's all day and not get wheel hop but that's because they're suspension is set up for scenarios like that. A truck, especially with softer springs, has little weight in the back and therefore not alot of anything to plant the power down. The result is suspension/axle rising up, tire spinning and actually lifting itself......all of this in a blink of the eye and you have wheel hop. The same pretty much goes for being in the sand or snow......the tire can initially make a ramp for itself, go up it, weight is lifted just a bit and it comes back down spinning another hole/ramp......all of this really fast and....you guessed it, wheel hop.

SOCO,
I have to disagree with this. Has absolutely nothing to do with weight distribution. Wheel hop is caused by the pinion angle changing under acceleration.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
SOCO,
I have to disagree with this. Has absolutely nothing to do with weight distribution. Wheel hop is caused by the pinion angle changing under acceleration.

what he's saying is if a vehicle has enough power to actually overcome the weight over the rear axle and make it "hop" is when you will have "wheel hop". Axle wrap or the change in the pinion angle will happen, wheel hop doesn't necessarily have to go with it. a car could have axle wrap, but just squat and burn out clean.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
what he's saying is if a vehicle has enough power to actually overcome the weight over the rear axle and make it "hop" is when you will have "wheel hop". Axle wrap or the change in the pinion angle will happen, wheel hop doesn't necessarily have to go with it. a car could have axle wrap, but just squat and burn out clean.

Bird,
The hop is caused by the loading and unloading of the suspension. The load/unload is caused by the movement of the pinion. Does not matter if it's a car or truck. If a vehicle has wheel hop the axle housing is rotating. It gets a little more complex if the vehicle has an IRS. For a solid axle vehicle if you have wheel hop a traction bar or linked suspension will cure the hop.

On the Raptor issue I am speculating what I believe the problem is as I don't own one yet. On the wheel hop/axle wrap issue that is 30+ years of racing and race car fabrication experience.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
SOCO,

Kinda like how the old Challengers had an extra leaf on the passenger side in the good ole days...

Lead Foot

Reaction score
Ok.... Lead Foot, don't get me wrong, I've done some VERY stupid shit in my day including being PULLED on a skateboard..... But do us a favor and don't fall victim to Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection. Next time hold on to the BACK of the car.

You would not believe How much fun this actually is!
We where on a hill,only used the car as a thruster :~) I'm sure my Bro would have stopped if he felt a Bump LOL...You go down the hill on your back feet first,I don't think the rear of the car would be as good :~) You use your feet to stabilize yourself,Your spread eagle on your back...Damn you got me wanting to take a ride now LOL It's Fun as Shit!!!

The wobble was to much over 30 mph ,and it ate the hell out of some Good shoes :~)

We used Grandma's Gremlin LOL Damn that thing was fun :~) Bumper was low! Just Right!

So first you're skateboarding in traffic and now you're lynching people....... This is getting outta control.

Very few things we did had anything to do with Control.......What the Hell fun is control?

No traffic!
The rope would only be to hold you in place,by holding on to it, and NOT tied to you LOL that would be crazy...

Damn i thought a few people had done this? we also Did the Car surfing Thing After watchin "Teen Wolf" I think it was ,LOL Talk about Messin up the Roof of a Car LOL

We used to jump off the Bridge here in town, but I wouldn't do it now,Not enough water,back then we use to touch Bottom if you went feet first....

Damn what did you guys do for fun when you were growing up??? we didn't have a lot of money so we got creative LOL

The hill we Skateboarded on was so steep on one side it was all you could do to stay on the board standing up :~) I don't know how many times i wiped out HAHAHA

All those crazy stunts and we Never broke a Bone! Plenty of black eyes and Scrapes :~) many cuts.....

Far as axle rap! i wonder if putting two shocks on the back of the axle would stop it?
like they have on the F250's I was leaven work behind My Buddy and both his Shocks are on the back side of the axle,I think the trucks an 06? the Shocks looked to be half way between the Diff and the brakes,Not on the Leaf springs like some i've seen, this would also help keep the flex when off roading...??? What says You ?

Last edited: