Rear differential whining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I realized my rear dif is whining. It starts around 30 mph and just gets progressively louder has the speed goes up. When I let off the throttle it goes away but you can hear it a little on the deceleration.

I thought I noticed this a week ago but seemed to go away or I wasn't paying attention closely enough. Either way tonight I switched my gear oil (Amsoil), which I already had because I planned on changing it before Havoc. Well after doing that the whine got a little quieter but nothing really negligible. The dif oil I emptied was 100% shit. Looked like water had gotten in the dif. All Gears were in great shape, still sharp as a brand new knife so that was good news.

I ordered a master rebuild kit from Yukon. I am assuming it is the pinion bearing. I have read a couple threads out there on the interwebs that sometimes the pinion nut might be a little loose but I doubt it.

Just bought the truck in June too, of course on 6/13 which was a Friday lol, my ****** luck. Had 56 at time of purchase now has 64. Also this week the rear window blew out due to the defroster which is another $600.

I am trying to get this done before havoc, anyone have any other opinions?

Last edited:

Runnhyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing going on with mine I can hear it whining especially with rear window open but haven't maid it in to the dealer yet truck only has 16k wtf??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The press and bearing knife to remove and install the carrier bearing is the big prep items.
Be prepared to have to cut the inner race of the drivers side carrier bearing, tough to get at with a standard bearing knife/removal tool.

onesickpuppy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I replaced the oil in the rear end with Swepco, 304 I think it was. full syn is good for temps but bearing appear to not like the thin syn stock....

OP
OP
SVT_Mayo

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The press and bearing knife to remove and install the carrier bearing is the big prep items.

Be prepared to have to cut the inner race of the drivers side carrier bearing, tough to get at with a standard bearing knife/removal tool.

Oh 100% not doing myself. But the yukon kit provides everything necessary to rebuild besides the gears obviously. Just being prepared for worst.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same thing going on with mine I can hear it whining especially with rear window open but haven't maid it in to the dealer yet truck only has 16k...

It sounds like a trip to the dealership should be your next step, Runnhyd. Which model year is your truck?

Crystal

OP
OP
SVT_Mayo

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing going on with mine I can hear it whining especially with rear window open but haven't maid it in to the dealer yet truck only has 16k wtf??

Least you have the warranty on your side

Runnhyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest I have no faith in my dealer ship they have done nothing but give me bs excuses at every turn.... Bed of the truck need to be re aligned tried three times to get that fixed and according to them the half an inch diff from left side of bed rail to cab vs right side was caused by bottoming out the truck???? wtf it's exactly the same from Top to bottom on both sides the bed isn't sagging not bent and the truck has never been bottomed out !!!! My body shop said they would fix it so why dosnt the warranty I fn paid for cover anything???? Maybe when I go down to have this new issue looked at they may pull their heads out of their Asses and do somthing??? But I doubt it!!!!