GEN 2 rear differential rebuild on my 2017 and successful use of an extended warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to share my recent positive experience with an extended warranty (after nearly not getting one).

While in the process of buying my fabulous 2017 (68k miles, factory warranty expired) I spent an inordinate amount of time laboring over the decision to get an extended warranty or not. Financial experts and a friend in the industry provided me some additional considerations (such the closing/paperwork being a profit center). With this in mind, I decided to forgo the dealer offered extended warranty (and subsequent impact to financing) and possibly just roll the dice. I was closing on my truck on a Monday, and we made an agreement the preceding Saturday at close, so I had a day to think about the warranty business. With that in mind, I decided to do so research online, and ended up going with the Supreme plan from Endurance. Compared to what the dealer was providing for similar money, the warranty I went with was better with longer coverage.

Fast forward to about a few weeks ago, when in my already somewhat loud truck, I could hear a noise coming from the rear end that sounded it needed a closer look. I was already going in for an oil change, so I asked for a quick check on it while I was there. Their expert agreed and I brought the truck in and it was game on! The Service Writer was familiar with Endurance and had no complaints, so that was good to hear. They did send out an Adjuster to see the vehicle and required repair, and they did approve the work. A $100 deductible for me, the rest covered by the warranty. Bullet dodged.

On a side note, when I began my time consuming Raptor search, I was originally looking for a later model Gen 1. I found a 2014 with 52k miles for $50k, that had just been taken in on trade. During their tech inspection, they noted noise from the rear end, and ended up rebuilding the rear differential. Not sure it means anything, but I found it interesting that the one I almost bought and the one I did buy both needed the same work with mileage in the same (sort of) ball park. Anything specific anyone is doing for extending the life of the differential? My research into all of this has led me to some aftermarket differential parts, to include covers with cooling fins and magnets. Had I been aware of the cover options while it was in the shop, I might have had them do the swap while working on it, but I will add that to the list. I have also read the loooooooooong thread on friction modifiers for rear diff gear oil, which is where I found some links and comments regarding covers.

IndianaRaptor

Reaction score
So what cover did you end up using ? Any other modifications to help prolong the new differential ? I’ve been looking at the new banks diff cover. My 2018 just ate the rear diff so waiting on parts to come in. And did you get a magnetic plug for the diff ?

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Biggest factor in prolonging the life of the diff is regular fluid changes. I believe Ford recommends something dumb like filled for life or 100k or 150k miles. I’d recommend changing with synthetic diff oil every 50k. Just get a cover with a magnetic drain plug, so you don’t have to drop the cover every time. I use a Mag Hytec, but the Ford Performance cover is good as well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Biggest factor in prolonging the life of the diff is regular fluid changes. I believe Ford recommends something dumb like filled for life or 100k or 150k miles. I’d recommend changing with synthetic diff oil every 50k. Just get a cover with a magnetic drain plug, so you don’t have to drop the cover every time. I use a Mag Hytec, but the Ford Performance cover is good as well.
True, if a bearing, R&P, or differential in the rear axle has worn out (not a defect), the only contributing factor is fluid quality.

Ford recommends (per the Owners Manual) that the fluid be changed at 150k under “normal” conditions, which means highway commuting, flat/mildly hilly terrain, no towing or hauling, mild ambient temperatures.

Almost nobody falls into the “normal” category, so fluids should be changed much sooner. Also note that for those who tow a boat and drop it in the water, if the axle is submerged the fluid should be changed afterward.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Raptor Assault crew indicated the only “non-standard” maintenance interval they do was the differential and I don’t recall the interval, but it was really short for the first change, and some reasonable interval after. I want to say 2500 miles at 1st change and maybe 15k for subsequent - someone jump in here...

So if you’re going to USE the Raptor, for Raptor things, you should follow a Raptor maintenance interval; that is to say, change more frequently and use good stuff.