Rear Diff Rust/Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

housecat

Reaction score
Whatever you use, careful that it doesn't leave any gaps for water to seep underneath the coating and get trapped under it. It'll be way worse than just some surface rust.

Fluid film works great and is relatively cheap.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude it’s literally the most standard thing ever. Metal/castings show surface rust. Buy a can of Steel-it or whatever rust encapsulator you want.

I spray my vehicles down every fall with wool wax and then in the spring clean them up and touch up anything with a bit of rust encapsulator.

787Jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you use, careful that it doesn't leave any gaps for water to seep underneath the coating and get trapped under it. It'll be way worse than just some surface rust.

+1 Probably have to steel brush and paint first.

Attachments

• 713BB913-1686-4332-8086-04BBB49B4981.jpeg
    713BB913-1686-4332-8086-04BBB49B4981.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 8

gkrane

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Fluid film is great but for the undercarriage i like the woolwax better. It seems to be a bit thicker and more durable. To make it spray real easy I get a pot of boiling water (like a pot you would cook spaghetti in) and put the filled spray guns canister of woolwax in it to warm up. It makes it spray a bit easier and then when it cools a bit on your frame it is back to its original thickness. I like it so much i'd woolwax my wife if I could.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys, the underbody rust was purposely design-engineered into Ford trucks as an anti-theft preventative/ deterrent.
It’s so when the gasoline thieves crawl under your fuel tank to drill it out and steal your gas or catalytic converter,
they get some rust flakes in their eyes and leave crying with tears.
I’m surprised you weren’t aware of this.
However, not to be outdone by Ford,
RAM has engineered a complete, total body rust design into their trucks, completely warding off any and all potential thieves.

OP
OP
F

Farva5803

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be first Ford truck. Completely normal.
I just use AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal Protector and occasionally touch it up as needed.
I had a 2014 FX4...no rust underneath whatsoever the couple years I had it.