Rear Diff Rust/Warranty Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farva5803

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon Gents,

Noticed a metric **** ton of rust on my rear differential a few weeks ago. Hardly driven my truck since I've gotten it (30OCT2021) due to training for work. Had it in the shop today for the driveshaft insulation recall, and asked them to clean off the rust and put some kind of sealant on. The dude flat out told me there was nothing they could do. My question is, what have you guys done for your rust issues, and two, would this be something covered by the warranty/ESP? The dealership seemed slammed service wise today, so I know that ****** was just trying to get out of doing it.

Thanks, hope y'all have been well, and that the majority of you have your Raptors now since the last time I checked the forum!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford has released service messages in the past that surface rust on chassis parts is not a warrantable condition since it is only an appearance issue. So the dealer wou not get reimbursed by warranty for resurfacing the components and painting them.

I believe some guys on here have done it themselves, maybe they’ll chime in with the products that they used.

OP
OP
F

Farva5803

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has released service messages in the past that surface rust on chassis parts is not a warrantable condition since it is only an appearance issue. So the dealer wou not get reimbursed by warranty for resurfacing the components and painting them.

I believe some guys on here have done it themselves, maybe they’ll chime in with the products that they used.
Thanks, brother! That's good to know. Pretty ridiculous that brand new trucks are seeing rust this soon...

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a built Jeep that spends most of it's time on the trail. In the spring when I swap from the hard top to the soft top for the summer, I always shoot the underbelly scrapes and rock rash with Rustoleum matt black. Rarely to I get any surface rust on parts that weren't scratched down to bare metal. You would likely only have to do it once unless you just wanted to freshen the paint up in the future. I always do the frame rails so that look good.

Attachments

• Rex.jpg
    Rex.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 18

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey if it make you feel any better….
I know guys with couple hundreds thousand dollar cars with rusty brake rotors so consider yourself lucky you only spend 80ish K for the same issues :pepper: