Rear diff leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well.

20,000 miles and I have my first noticible issue.

I have diff fluid seeping at the rear pumpkin.

I’m going to assume it’s the gasket, but it’s seeping around a decent portion.

I’m going to replace the diff cover and gasket with the Ford Performance One since it was on my to-do list anyway.... and see if it goes away.

If it doesn’t..... what else would it be? The axle seal back there? I don’t like taking my truck to the dealer. They probably wouldn’t cover it anyway and say the mods caused it. So most likely I’ll just give it to my guy.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Well.

20,000 miles and I have my first noticible issue.

I have diff fluid seeping at the rear pumpkin.

I’m going to assume it’s the gasket, but it’s seeping around a decent portion.

I’m going to replace the diff cover and gasket with the Ford Performance One since it was on my to-do list anyway.... and see if it goes away.

If it doesn’t..... what else would it be? The axle seal back there? I don’t like taking my truck to the dealer. They probably wouldn’t cover it anyway and say the mods caused it. So most likely I’ll just give it to my guy.

Could be the breather. hard to tell without seeing a pic.

Did you happen to scrape the dif on rocks or something?

Stock ford covers have a habit of peeling up, then snapping back into place when dragged across rocks.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I considered it, but The Ford Performance one just looks so slick.

I think the AFE one will scream their logo to everyone who drives behind me.

Not that that’s a bad thing... I just try to keep a down low style.

why not the AFE? It adds volume and cooling fins.

46-70152a1600.1516993183.jpg

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really like the Ford Performance cover...The issue with the others that hold more oil is:
1) They stick out further from the rear end, possibly getting whacked by a rock or such
2) More oil doesn't run cooler, it just takes a little longer to reach operating temp.

Just saying...

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a rear diff leak and had it replaced under warranty with no questions.

It shocks me how much value you kids put on fords warranty

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

I really like the Ford Performance cover...The issue with the others that hold more oil is:
1) They stick out further from the rear end, possibly getting whacked by a rock or such
2) More oil doesn't run cooler, it just takes a little longer to reach operating temp.

Just saying...

A larger volume of fluid (plus the cooling fins) will absolutely dissipate more heat. This isn't up for debate, its thermodynamics.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alternatively there is the Mag-Hytec differential cover. I installed it four years ago and it's a good product. Adds fluid capacity and makes changing the fluid way, way easier.

Having more gear oil doesn't make it run cooler but with modern synthetic multi-viscosity gear oils, operating temperature isn't an issue.

Last edited: