Rear Diff Cover Loose Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now it has happened a second time, the rear diff bolts have come loose enough that the gear oil starts leaking. Happened for the first time up in the mountains of Big Bear when a friend noticed a puddle of gear oil under my rear diff. Drove to a local repair shop and they said every bolt was just hand tight. Cleaned everything up and used good RTV, new gear oil and 12 months later I found the cover bolts just hand tight again, slow leak.
Anyone know why this is happening?
Performance Ford Rear Diff Cover.
Used RTV a year ago.
I never use the pumpkin to raise the truck rear with a floor jack.
Should I use Locktite this time?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What torque did you install the bolts at?

When I have mine in at say 20 or 25ft*lbs they would work loose. I think I have them at 30 or 33 ft*lbs with orange loctite and they have not worked loose.

My theory is that the stiff ford performance cover does not conform to the housing very well and allows the bolts to lose tension where as a softer/less stiff oem cover would conform to the diff housing and allow for a better engagement.

OP
OP
pastorwug

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several YouTube installs of the Ford Perf diff cover suggest blue loctite - I'll use this tomorrow when I re-do the rear diff.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just brainstorming here:

Did you tighten in a criss/cross pattern?

Blue loctite could solve this

Hopefully the threads aren’t pulled - the bolds should be a good fit in the tapped holes

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got another oem ford gasket, reused the stock bolts torque'd to oem spec and have been good since. Didnt put any locktite on mine, since when i pulled mine out i didnt see any residue on them, but was debating blue locktite.