Rear Diff cover..fact or fiction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this about eight months ago and am still waiting on part three of this series.

I just installed the Ford Racing rear diff cover last weekend based on what I saw in the transparent diff cover test. Install was very easy and the fit and finish of the diff cover was good. It weighs much more than the stock cover and feels like it could really take a beating.

I also installed a LubeLocker gasket. I thought it was made so well I just ordered the gasket for the transmission pan.

Hope some of this info is helpful.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does to spicer/ford diff cover hold more oil? How much did you use?

D

Deleted member 12951

I don’t think there is an issue with the aFe or Mag-Hytec covers, people have been running them for years with no issues. Think Bank is more about promoting their product but haven’t really produced to the market. The design they showed at SEMA with the wings at the bottom made sense for a street truck but there is no way in hell I would run it on an off-road truck.

Personally if I were to get a diff cover and wanted one that didn’t have a square back, I would go with the B&M cover on my GEN1. It has some of the largest cooling fins and the load bolts it has does provide additional support to the bearing caps. I can see the GEN2 wanting the Ford Performance merely for cosmetics as it would match it nicely. I believe either one of these provide 1/2 quart more fluid.

af7daa57f3436840672a70ccdb9d099f.jpg

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you watch all the videos from Banks, you'll learn the increased capacity does little to nothing for longevity, and actually can rob horsepower..

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
The biggest benefit of an aftermarket diff cover is the ability to drain/refill the diff without having to remove the cover. Street queens and those who don't go off-road much can stick with a OEM cover as you don't really need to change fluid all that often.

Those who do go off-road a lot and see a lot of water crossing benefit the most as they often check/change their fluid often.

I still believe Banks is trying to sell something but I haven't seen anything past the original series of videos. Plus has *anyone* even come out say they had diff problems because they used a aftermarket cover? I have yet to see anything on that...

--

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
All the Banks vids are legit and the flat covers, extra fluid, etc. are “bad”. However, street legal/registered trucks should never even notice the drawbacks because they’re never really stressing the rear in the way the issue would even be valid. Even those that off-road some should never see a problem either.

I’ve run some really “lightweight” lubricants in drag and autocross cars trans and diffs because although the loads are high, the duration is short, so there is little time for the lube to overheat.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still believe Banks is trying to sell something but I haven't seen anything past the original series of videos. Plus has *anyone* even come out say they had diff problems because they used a aftermarket cover? I have yet to see anything on that...
--

Gale banks is probably the least likely to shill a cheap product for money of any aftermarket supplier I've ever seen.

He's NOT saying buy his, he's saying don't the square ones. Then he backed it up with data as to why. He also never said it'll cause your diff to fail. He said it is wasteful as far as energy goes, and wasteful as far as your money goes.