Rear defrost not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Been a bit since I have posted here as I had sold my 2012 Raptor in Virginia a few years ago. I just purchased a real nice 2014 Race Red here in Kenosha at a local dealer. Come to find out, the rear defrost is not working. I push the button and the thing will not light up. Research has showed me that this is a common Ford issue. The issue was found during an inspection for my extended warranty that I have gotten for the truck. Long story short, I had to get it repaired and they had to replace the entire back glass, it was about 900.00 total for the repair. Anyone else had this issue???

Sure wish Ford would own up to there design issues and take responsibility...

Good to be back in another Raptor. This is #3 for me. Love the trucks...

OP
OP
S

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to have the entire rear window replaced locally to fix the issue. Works now but that is a little extreme for the issue, I think. The rear slider worked great... All of the fuses were fine... Post up what you find out about the problem.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The contactors in the slider wear or break off and it quits. The only way to prevent it is not use the slider :/ Bad design by ford.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you will find that almost all of these had the fuses pulled or the wires cut so that the rear defrost would not work. I think most people weighed the shattered rear window versus not having the defrost function and made their decision. You definitely do not want to experience the inevitable exploding rear window, or the potential fire hazard.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same issue some time ago, same fix as folks have stated above. I had to have my entire window replaced - luckily I was still under a warranty at the time.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford never released an updated version of the rear window that fixed the exploding / burning problem. This is exactly why its a good thing to have a non functional rear defrost.

OP
OP
S

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my 3rd Raptor and have not had the shattered rear window issue. I don't use the rear defrost that much as it is always warm here in Kenosha... I would have left it for the fact that it was found during my ESP warranty inspection and I wanted that to get into effect. I guess better to have it than not. Now I have a warranty, nothing will break.