Rear defrost not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no revised design for the window. It will fail again, and still run risk of shattering.

Rule of thumb, NEVER USE REAR DEFROST. DISABLE IT IN REMOTE START MENU TOO,

...And for the times you actually want to see out the rear window? Call me crazy, but I actually want the electronics in my $60,000 truck to work.

Last edited:

Hotsauce2719

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the heated mirrors and rear defroster no longer work on my 2014 SCREW. Took it to my dealer here in Prattville, AL and they said the entire window would have to be replaced and my extended warranty didn't cover. I read all of this thread and it appeared that the Ford service folks aren't around anymore?

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my rear window replaced on my Ford ESP. They did not want to do it because they said it did not cover glass, but the glass was not the issue it was the defrost element so I pushed and got it covered. I had a 50/50 chance so I really pushed them, maybe the squeaky wheel got the grease that time. If have Ford ESP and If they still resist ask to escalate the claim. Good luck.

Hotsauce2719

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you WRC Raptor! I think I am just going to take your advice and ask them to elevate. I called Ford Service direct and that didn't seem to help.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that Ford has no "updated" part that corrects this problem. The only solution is to disable the rear defrost permanently.

GVW299

Reaction score
I live in Florida so rarely ever use it but notice my rear defrost light stopped working. I guess the heated mirrors too.
Did some investigating and it is still getting power back to the wiring when I press the button (but the light does not come on). Looks like when I had my ceramic tint put on a while ago, the installer damaged about 5 defrost grids taking off the old tint.
Only real solution is a $448 replacement rear window from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OSM6BGS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
The rear window is bolted in so seems like a relatively easy install from what I can see on youtube. Comes with a new motor and the butyl sealing tape.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live in Florida so rarely ever use it but notice my rear defrost light stopped working. I guess the heated mirrors too.
Did some investigating and it is still getting power back to the wiring when I press the button (but the light does not come on). Looks like when I had my ceramic tint put on a while ago, the installer damaged about 5 defrost grids taking off the old tint.
Only real solution is a $448 replacement rear window from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OSM6BGS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
The rear window is bolted in so seems like a relatively easy install from what I can see on youtube. Comes with a new motor and the butyl sealing tape.

They make rear window defroster grid repair kits; they’re inexpensive and it’s a pretty straightforward repair. Might want to try that before replacing the window assembly.

GVW299

Reaction score
They make rear window defroster grid repair kits; they’re inexpensive and it’s a pretty straightforward repair. Might want to try that before replacing the window assembly.
I have one of those kits but taking off the ceramic tint first will make the grids even worse. That tint does not come off easily. I'm at the stage I just want it to work and a $448 self install is fine after 10 years.