Rear Camera Operation Moving Forward?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoop

Reaction score
Just getting to know my new to me 2018 802A Raptor. Is there any way to operate the rear camera when driving forward?

May sound like a dumb question but it's actually very useful. I had an aftermarket back-up camera on my Rubicon. Having the ability to view it while driving was great to: 1) Check on trailer load periodically; and 2) Watch the vehicle behind you on trails. I found I used this option quite a bit and I will miss it if it can't be done on the Raptor.

Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think it turns on with rock crawl mode, and i think NavTV has a very pricey module to allow the camera use in motion. You can manually engage the camera, but they shut off at a very low speed

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Reaction score
I think it turns on with rock crawl mode, and i think NavTV has a very pricey module to allow the camera use in motion. You can manually engage the camera, but they shut off at a very low speed

I think I read it's 3 mph where it turns off. I'm looking for it to be visible at towing speeds - 60-70 mph! And shutting off at 3 mph is too slow even for rock crawl mode. Good for on the rocks but not good for running between obstacles when you're trying to keep the vehicle behind you in view. Thanks.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I read it's 3 mph where it turns off. I'm looking for it to be visible at towing speeds - 60-70 mph! And shutting off at 3 mph is too slow even for rock crawl mode. Good for on the rocks but not good for running between obstacles when you're trying to keep the vehicle behind you in view. Thanks.
He's getting you confused between the front and rear cameras.
NavTV lets you bypass the rear camera operations and use it while you are driving. I think it'll let you watch DVDs while driving too.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes NAV-TV makes some pricey adapters to allow camera access when driving. Otherwise there’s no way you can get them on when driving at speed.

I’m pretty sure “Rock Crawl” mode turns on the front camera vs the rear.

Supposedly F-150’s when equipped have a hookup in the rear for an external camera that can mount on your trailer. I’m not sure if this was a feature on the Raptor and never finished my search for a dongle out by the rear bumper to see if it was even so.

Some useful info, some half useful. Good luck.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Reaction score
He's getting you confused between the front and rear cameras.
NavTV lets you bypass the rear camera operations and use it while you are driving. I think it'll let you watch DVDs while driving too.

Yes, to test it on the rear camera I'll need to see if it shuts off at high speeds in reverse!!

Yes NAV-TV makes some pricey adapters to allow camera access when driving. Otherwise there’s no way you can get them on when driving at speed.

I’m pretty sure “Rock Crawl” mode turns on the front camera vs the rear.

Supposedly F-150’s when equipped have a hookup in the rear for an external camera that can mount on your trailer. I’m not sure if this was a feature on the Raptor and never finished my search for a dongle out by the rear bumper to see if it was even so.

Some useful info, some half useful. Good luck.

I tried it today. Front camera works in all modes but shuts off as soon as the digital speedo turns to 4 mph. Putting tranny in reverse brought up the rear camera in all modes. It's probably not worth (to me) spending $400-500 for reverse camera access while driving at highway speeds. At least that's what my searching found for Nav-TV modules pricing. Although I did not identify the exact one I would need.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats probably the correct one. Should give you front camera access while moving as well. I was looking at getting this adapter as well, but for the cost it wasn’t worth the benefit to me.