Rear Cab Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been dealing with a very loud, annoying rear rattle with my truck ever since I got it (used). I just always assumed it was the rear glass as there is a service bulletin for it. Took it to Ford and they ordered the parts to fix it, but since they ordered a new from shock they scheduled the install for end of Jan to do both at the same time. Realizing I didn’t wanna wait that long I took a look for myself. I found that the subwoofer is bolted into the wall of the rear of the cab, and it vents (not sure if that’s the right word but there’s a vent there) pressure out of the cab into the air between the cab and the bed of the truck. After turning on some loud music, I crawled underneath the truck and found the rattle was actually coming from a cover piece / trim piece that closes off the gap between the cab and the bed. It spans the width of the truck and looks like it’s held in place with those plastic push connectors. Placing a sticky felt pad against the bed and the trim piece eliminated 90% of the rattle. I’m sure if I messed with it more it could be perfect, but I’m good with it for now. I wanted to share this in case anyone else had been dealing with their truck sounding like a 92 caprice with a bazooka subwoofer in the trunk.

The photo below is the trim piece that was making the noise, looking straight up from underneath the truck in between the bed and the cab. Hope this helps anyone dealing with similar rattles.

Attachments

• EC6C5C6B-371E-414D-9040-CE25E7968398.jpeg
    EC6C5C6B-371E-414D-9040-CE25E7968398.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 67

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
So I have something similar but mine sounds like a damn cricket behind the back seat. The strange part is it's louder outside near the rear window. it seems to occur when the base is turned up. I assume it's a loose speaker or something up against the back wall. It is louder on the passenger side, but both sides make noise. It is sort of a high pitched rattle or squeak, I don't have video to post, but wondering if its related to the stereo speakers.

What was your fix? was that trim piece dislodged? Did you fix it? I will try sticking some felt or padding up in there ,but wondering what Fords fix is?

Last edited:

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there could be multiple issues at play here. I think the fix for rear window is wrapping the wires for the electric defrosters that run in the window track I think gets wrapped with a foam type cover to stop it from rattling. ill have to look under my truck as well. I think mine is the window wires because as I open and close the rear window it changes the rattling and sometimes eliminates it completely.

thx for the info