Rear bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Not sure if this goes into exterior or general. I need some help. What is the best way to touch this up? I'm getting some J7 touch up from Ford (read on here that was good for bumpers) after work. Is it as simple as get the touch up and apply? Can anything be applied to the black tow hook?

The plastic sensor I'm sure is fine and I don't want to replace all that plastic for that little bit. but the metal bumper took a hit

1640803724926.png

1640803959279.png

Thank you all for you help.
Topher

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how perfect you want/need it, you have options for everything from a Collision Center, to nothing.

In the middle of that, I might carefully use the matching touch-up paint on the color scratches. Build it up a bit, then lightly wet sand to smooth it back down a bit, and then polish to get the gloss back. That would be hard to see from about 3 feet.

The sensor could also be wet sanded (the ring - not the lens :)) with some very fine SP (1000-1500 or even 2000 grit) and could get that polished to looking like new-ish.

On the Tow hook...again, sand the damaged part smooth(er) and then I think Satin Black (as opposed to gloss) would be a good match. Mask it off and spray or use a small brush. Then again, wet sand and polish it smooth.

That would get you an 80-90% fix IMO.

Others may have other ideas.

Good luck,
DC

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
J7 is the color and it’s basically low gloss Magnetic(on the bumpers and wheel flares)as opposed to full gloss as the body is painted. A fine touch up can help. I wouldn’t polish any paint on that bumper or you will create hot polished areas that will stick out as compared to the low gloss factory finish. If some touching up doesn’t look good to you. You may want to get that whole bumper section repainted.

OP
OP
Topher

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@K223 @Therock88
Thank you both.

I got some J7 straight from Ford Dealership and that did not match very well. it just seemed off darker if I remembered

I also got some from a Ford Paint Shop they mixed up there in a little container with brush. Here is that result
1644003886382.png

OP
OP
Topher

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I apply another round on it or any other options I can try after apply that?

On the J7 I see a lot of Raptor owner suggest that on bumpers or the dupli color J7 as being a match. Did I do something wrong apply it lol. I shook it up really well

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is most likely the issue. J7 is Magnetic and the actual body color of my truck as well. The bumpers and flares are also painted in J7. But the flares are matte finish and the bumpers are of a low gloss application. I can only imagine it’s the versions of the clear they use, body is gloss, bumpers low gloss. This also changes the depth of the color to my knowledge. That little touch up bottle from Ford will be a single stage color with gloss added to it. So it will never 100% match the bumper. You could apply just enough color with a super fine brush and then get low gloss spray clear or possibly a bottle? But that’s going to require taking up and you will see some mismatch I’m sure.

Low gloss and matte finishes are tough to fix by hand with a brush and a bottle.

OP
OP
Topher

Topher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I can build a little more on the bumper with some more touch up paint may help. Supposed to be 77 degrees tomorrow better weather than we had was ~69, then back to 20's then 30's, now 70's

Anyone know a good satin black for the rear tow hook as @Therock88 mentions or a trusty brand to use on it? Wish you could remove them like the front.