Rear Bumper Side Step since no tailgate step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesseh

Reaction score
I took a chance with the Bestop TrekStep side step as shown here:
https://www.bestop.com/rear-mounted-trekstep/

However, I can confirm that this will NOT install directly on the Raptor Gen3 as the rear tailpipe interferes with the intended install point and so I return it. The step itself was very well made and good quality. With a fabricated mount or a extender to the rear bumper mount, I assume it could possibly be done.

2020 Raptor bumper frame & exhaust.jpg

I would prefer a rear side step instead of the tailgate option as I often need to access the rear bed without lowering the tailgate, especially when parked in the garage.

If there any metal fabricator that could work with me to install the Bestop TrekStep on the Gen3, I'd like to hear from you.

Reaction score
Before my 2020 Raptor ,because of work I always bought F350's. I bought a AMP Research fold away step. Moved it every 2 years from truck to truck. amprearch.com its like $240. but what I see people spending on their trucks it really pretty reasonable Ha

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
However, I can confirm that this will NOT install directly on the Raptor Gen3 as the rear tailpipe interferes ...

If there any metal fabricator that could work with me to install the Bestop TrekStep on the Gen3, I'd like to hear from you.

Dude! You can answer the big question ... does your Gen3 have a V8?

OP
OP
richnot

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a chance with the Bestop TrekStep side step as shown here:
https://www.bestop.com/rear-mounted-trekstep/

However, I can confirm that this will NOT install directly on the Raptor Gen3 as the rear tailpipe interferes with the intended install point and so I return it. The step itself was very well made and good quality. With a fabricated mount or a extender to the rear bumper mount, I assume it could possibly be done.

View attachment 155587

I would prefer a rear side step instead of the tailgate option as I often need to access the rear bed without lowering the tailgate, especially when parked in the garage.

I think this is more inline with what you are looking for but you want it to mount behind the rear wheel?

I am wondering if it is worth looking into and modifying it to fit. I have also considered calling AMP Research to see if they have any information with dimensions available based upon what I am trying to accomplish. If the step had a straight bracket and a flat mount then all you would need to do is have a bracket fabricated to mount it. I will keep posting what I find out

https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/11888/s/step-body-side/category/224/

OP
OP
richnot

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn you're resourceful!
Could you please tell my wife that?

How is the project going? I can't remember what you were going to do for the bumper pocket lighting or was that classified?

You know how people always say how wrong it is to buy cheap tie downs? This will show em`how well they can hold up!

IMG_1126.JPG

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you please tell my wife that?

How is the project going? I can't remember what you were going to do for the bumper pocket lighting or was that classified?

You know how people always say how wrong it is to buy cheap tie downs? This will show em`how well they can hold up!

View attachment 155599

Ouch.....yours?

OP
OP
richnot

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch.....yours?
No not mine, just a picture that was sent to me by a friend.

Funny thing is that said friend took the company work truck through the car wash and while halfway through somehow one of the rotary brushes got hold of a rope that was in the bed, and holding the rope down was the spare tire. I am crying as I type this, the tire started swinging around in the bed beating the shit out of it and destroyed the brush and some plastic soap and water lines.

The guy that was at the controls heard all the commotion and hit the E stop button. His boss's insurance company covered the damages, and he still starts to get a little sweat on his forehead when he tells the story.

He had no idea what was happening!!! Which just makes it even funnier