Rear bumper options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I've been thinking about this for a while now. Currently I have a custom frame cut front bumper that's very similar to the SVC Smurf that sits tight against the front valance. I have the stock rear bumper and hitch setup with the trailer connector relocated to the bumper. I'm really debating if I want to get the matching rear bumper which would require dovetailing the bed and relocating the exhaust along with getting the low profile hitch, but I have a feeling it would really improve the looks and match the front.

The downsides from what I can see are that you lose the license plate tag lights and the bumper step area, but can at least retain the backup sensors and they have mounts for rear flood lights like I want. It looks as if the low profile hitch has the mount for the trailer connector, so I will be able to retain that too. Also, this bumper setup is cheaper than options that don't require dovetailing, and it's not loaded with a bunch of logos from the businesses that make the bumpers (I find that incredibly annoying).

Are there any other potential upsides or downsides to dovetailing the back, relocating the exhaust, using the hidden hitch, and using the pre-runner style rear bumper?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been looking at a few different options from Evil Offroad, SVC, and RPG. At this point I'm pretty set on dovetailing the rear and doing the tube pre-runner bumper and relocating the exhaust outlet. I want to retain my backup sensors and a license plate mount for sure. At this point it seems like RPG is the only one that offers a tube bumper with built in lighting, but I'm not sure on the looks of it. I'm debating if maybe I should leave the lights off the bumper and instead get a roof basket for my topper and mount the rear and side lights to it.

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who is making a low profile hitch? Mazzulla used to but stopped. I went with Mazzulla for the rear bumper and love it but they won't cut the sensor holes out anymore. You might call and see if they will do a custom one. Ive dumped my exhaust over the axle which I was planning on anyways. I also picked up some license plate bulbs for $8 shipped. It acts as the plate bulb and plate screws which is cool. Don't regret dovetailing one bit! Looks so much more aggressive and gained a ton of clearance. Im planning on an upgraded third brake light for rear lighting so didn't add anything else onto the bumper.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...late-bolt-stud-mount-pigtail-connection/1685/

PicsArt_09-13-09.06.38.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who is making a low profile hitch? Mazzulla used to but stopped. I went with Mazzulla for the rear bumper and love it but they won't cut the sensor holes out anymore. You might call and see if they will do a custom one. Ive dumped my exhaust over the axle which I was planning on anyways. I also picked up some license plate bulbs for $8 shipped. It acts as the plate bulb and plate screws which is cool. Don't regret dovetailing one bit! Looks so much more aggressive and gained a ton of clearance. Im planning on an upgraded third brake light for rear lighting so didn't add anything else onto the bumper.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...late-bolt-stud-mount-pigtail-connection/1685/

View attachment 157086

RPG makes a low profile hitch, but it looks like Evil Offroad builds the hitch into their bumper.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just installed my SVC Baja and hidden hitch after getting them linexed. Happy with the result. The trailer wiring is moved up underneath and I had to remove the spare as the wiring mount hit it. Might be able to reinstall the spare now.

20201205_113710.jpg

20201205_113724.jpg

20201205_132342.jpg

20201205_132350.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've gotta do some more looking around and see what I think. I haven't decided on a specific one yet, but was kind of leaning towards the evil manufacturing wrap-around.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To retain the backup sensors and still have a hitch with a dovetail bed it looks like the options are:

RPG Offroad - Raceline -

MG_4737-1.jpg

Evil Offroad - Banshee -

Banshee-1.jpg

Evil Offroad - Hellion -

Hellion-2.jpg

Forged Offroad -

IMG_7588.jpg

SVC's bumpers don't allow for backup sensors, so they are out. Krazy House Customs' are a squared off design which won't match my frame cut front bumper, so it's out. If there's any other options available I'd love to hear!

Last edited: