Rear Bumper Lights w/ DRL as Blinkers - Been done??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First off - new here and first post. I searched everywhere on forum before going this route and creating account to ask the wiring masters on here.

I have a pair of Rough Country (RC) flush mount 2" x 2" lights with DRL's I was going to mount in my ADD front bumper, but went different route and decided to mount these in factory rear bumper. RC supplies these with wiring harness to connect to battery, and relays/switch for DRL's and Brights but I would like to wire the bright lights to uplifter switch and then have the DRL's activate when the blinkers come on. Uplifter wiring I have figured out, but my question is what to do about activating the blinkers? This being a BCM controlled vehicle I'm worried about tapping into the tail-lights and messing it up. Should I tie into the trailer plug or what would be the best way?

2x2 RC Lighting.jpg

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could use the upfitter for the DRL and pick up the backup light at the trailer plug. yellow= reverse

OP
OP
horsepwrjunkie
Reaction score
You could use the upfitter for the DRL and pick up the backup light at the trailer plug. yellow= reverse
Appreciate suggestion, I could do that if I just wanted to use the DRL's as always on via upfitter switch, but I want to have each individual DRL blink when blinkers activated. Not sure where to tie into for that source that doesn't also activate when brake pedal is pressed?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the front turns or the turn signal to the mirrors is what you want. I'll check the ford wiring diagrams to see where to find them in the BCM.

Update: the wires are in the BCM connector C2280F( blk 26 pin) pins 7,8,9 and 10.

001.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
horsepwrjunkie
Reaction score
I think the front turns or the turn signal to the mirrors is what you want. I'll check the ford wiring diagrams to see where to find them in the BCM.

Update: the wires are in the BCM connector 2280F( blk 26 pin) pins 7,8,9 and 10.

View attachment 321701

Awesome! Assume I can tap into pin 7 and 8 of these for two small amber LED's without needing a relay on each?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think 7 and 8 go to the headlights(18 ga) and 9 and 10 go to the mirrors(22 ga) but that is just a guess at the moment.

melanmack

Reaction score
You can use your trailer plug if you have one—it is how I installed the new blinkers on my car. The old ones were destroyed because my father thought it was a good pranker. He bought me a car after I got my driver's license and said that I needed to refill the blinker fluid in the car, and I can find it on sadanduseless.com. I believed him, and the next day I got the fluid and filled it in the blinkers and the headlights. It destroyed them completely. My father laughed a lot because he didn't know I would believe him.

Last edited: