Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Rear Axle Shifted

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modification' started by MagnetMan14, May 12, 2017.

1. MagnetMan14

MagnetMan14 Member

Hello all,

Got my truck a week ago and ordered some trail ready wheels (thanks CustomWheels4u). They'll stick out about an inch more than stock and I was trying to get a sense of where they would fall in relation to the fender. When eyeballing the wheels, something looked off. Long story short, my axle is shifted about an inch to the passenger side.

I grabbed a level and a framers square and took a measurement off the pinch seam on the inside of the wheel well/bed and the tire, with the truck on level pavement. I know this is not an exact science, but the measurements validated what I saw looking at the truck from behind. I asked my brother to take a look to make sure I was not crazy, he got the same results. The axle is about 3/4" - 1" off to the passenger side

Shackles look good and beefier than I expected, and I know the leafs have positioning pins, least I would hope so. Took it off road once, into the desert. No jumps, no angled hits. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice as I am about to lose my mind.

Thanks,

Alex

2. whoisbigman

whoisbigman Full Access Member

Is the bed possibly shifted over?

3. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

Welcome, don't say anything to the dealer about taking it Offroad, even though it's an Offroad truck. Hope it's an easy fix.

4. MagnetMan14

MagnetMan14 Member

It's possible, but gaps look fine.

5. Ecoop

Ecoop Full Access Member

All backspacing the same?

6. dewalt

dewalt Full Access Member

See how many tracks you can make in mud driving straight ahead, or a mudpuddle on the road

7. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Take it to a good alignment shop that does true 4 wheel laser.
    I believe it's normal to an extent for a reason, to stop dog legging.
    If it really bothers you loosen the bolts on the U-bolts and knock it over and have a wheel alignment done.
    There is enough play in there to move the axle a little.

As dewalt suggested but use the double or single line in the center of the road and see if both front and rear run straight.
    If they do then you can move on to moving the bed over.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    AndysLog likes this.
  8. MagnetMan14

MagnetMan14 Member

Thanks for the replies. I thought about knocking it over a bit, but will I run into any issues with locating pins or is that the "play" you're referencing? I understand that solid rear ends with leafs aren't an exact science, but it was enough for me to notice in my rearview, so I guess I'll be breaking out the jackstands.

9. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

If you still have stock springs, it sits on top of that bump stop horn so there will be some wiggle room, I do not remember exactly how much, when I did mine six years ago.
    I'm going to say anywhere from 3/8 to 7/16.

10. t_j

t_j FRF Addict

If you back off the u-bolts you should replace them as they are single use torque to yield bolts.

dirtgod likes this.