Rear Axle Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At my wits end trying to fix this leak. Any help would be much appreciated. Here's the story:

2019 SCREW. Jumped it and bent my axle. Purchased a second hand axle (complete) from KHC, out of a 2019 truck with 30k miles. Before they sent it over, I had them replace all the bearings. Axle swap went smoothly, and truck drives great. In less than 100 miles, I discover oil puddling on the back side of the brake dust cover, and splattering on the inside of my wheels. I replaced the axle shaft seal, still leaking. Then I swapped out my axle shaft with my old axle shaft out of the original axle, and replaced the seal again. I placed RTV on the outside of the seal. Drove home 30 miles, still leaking. At this point, Ive gone through 3 seals, and tried two different shafts, and KHC had installed a new Koyo wheel bearing. Any suggestions on what to do next or where to look? The only thing I noticed was on the axle itself it has a small groove that you can feel with your finger, where the seal sits. KHC tells me previous customer did not have this leak. I dont hear any new noises at all, the wheel/tire doesnt feel like it has any play in it. However, I do feel the truck vibrating at 80mph+, enough to vibrate my seats. I haven't gotten the truck aligned after pretty heavy offroad use, so the vibrations could be correlated to that, maybe?. Should I try replacing the wheel bearing again? is the axle bad? Pics attached. Thanks for any help.

UPDATE *POSSIBLE SOLUTION?* I noticed the wheel bearing was different than the Koyo ones Ford uses from the factory. I searched up the 6 P's stamped on there, and realized the application is for Dodge 9.75 axles, and the ones that Ford uses are different. The spacing between the rollers is significantly different and its missing the black retainer piece that keeps them in place. Picked up 2 new bearings and will install to see if that fixes it.

Attachments

• tempImageHIEJ51.png
    tempImageHIEJ51.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • tempImageTmAj8I.png
    tempImageTmAj8I.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • tempImageioU7CB.png
    tempImageioU7CB.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yr leaking from somewhere else. Probably cracked housing is my guess.
I dont find any cracks on the housing. The oil seems to be coming from the center of the seal, where the shaft rides on. I inspected where the seal rides on the shaft, smooth as butter. I did, however, crack my previous axle housing.

OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
I was comparing my old axles wheel bearing (factory bearing), and noticed my new wheel bearings dont have this black piece (in video). Wrong bearing? Normal? Compare to photo of bearing in original post.

Attachments

• 69240548069__DD63188D-7D0B-475D-BFEF-706074A90F65.MOV
    7.3 MB

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I don't see anything in your attachment. Looks like the bearing is missing the part that keeps the bearings in place?

OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything in your attachment. Looks like the bearing is missing the part that keeps the bearings in place?
yep, the black retainer piece. Turns out its a different bearing all together. its stamped with "PPPPPP", searched it up and its to be used on Dodge 9.75 rear axles, no ford application.