Really wierd shifting issues - anybody had this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird shifting issues have developed on my 2013 Gen1 (15k miles): sometimes wont shift out of first, then sometimes stays in 5th as I pull up and go to pull off again, randomly drops down a gear, then also sometimes into first. Earlier on today I got stuck running around in first - truck absolutely refused to shift, would not even let me do it in manual shift mode

All his started happening yesterday and is getting worse rapidly. Cycling the ignition seems to reset but sometimes it fails again quickly. It's driving me nuts... thinking it may be something along the lines of a throttle position sensor... anybody know for sure, have you had this happen and fixed it?

BajaLaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if your gear lock is being toggled. I have seen the down shifter (-) switch malfunction and lock out all gears except first.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a ranger that had shifting issues and it only had 60k on it the dealership rebuilt it and it did the same thing there's a switch on the side of the tranny it may be that ? I just bought a 2018 raptor !

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 2012 truck I was just told is doing the EXACT same thing....weird timing of this post.

OP
OP
Mick VT

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to try and get in into the dealer this week to see if they can find out what is going on. Intermittent issues always make me nervous, I had to drive it for about 50 miles back and forth round town yesterday before I could get it to do it

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to try and get in into the dealer this week to see if they can find out what is going on. Intermittent issues always make me nervous, I had to drive it for about 50 miles back and forth round town yesterday before I could get it to do it
Exact same with this truck...sorry this is happening

OP
OP
Mick VT

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's going in Thursday AM to the dealer. I am hoping it is something as simple as a transmission service is required (is it ever something that simple?) The truck was hardly used for the first four years of it's life and sat around in the California sun (under 7k miles in 4 years) this was before I bought it - I put 5k miles on it in the past 3 months alone

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had issues with the fuel pump on my ranger turned out after two replacements it was the electrical connector obviously I can't speak to your issues just my experience with the problems I had. Both times they failed to diagnose the real problem!

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk