Really need to install a Nav system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrGreen33

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what kinda of vehicle was the Alpine 928 installed?
Not really following the logic behind 'the screen to dim with the headlights.'
Just curious what the point is...never really heard of doing this until now...hmm

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most radios have an illumination wire, which dims the radio when the lights are turned on. so at night the screen is not bright and blinding. the alpine does not have it, so having a white illuminated screen at night is very distracting. this unit is installed in an audi s4. pics tonight.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry mrgreen, i forgot to take pictures of the audi with the alpine 928. but i will show you some pics of the dimmer that pioneer uses tonight when i get home

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok mr green. this is the illumination of the screen i was talking about. this is my pioneer. it has 2 different lighting modes. with the lights on and with the lights off. so at night when the lights are on it changes the screen background so its not so bright.

the alpine does not do that. it has a sensor that dims the screen automatically, however the screen background is still white. there have been a few complaints about this at my shop already

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 84

MrGreen33

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks Nosbusa!! Thats a big difference...and just another reason to go for the pioneer!!
It would be annoying to have the screen highly lit as shown, during the night...was not aware of this big difference between the two.
Thanks!!

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to retain as much as possible and use the backup camera. I am pretty mechanically inclined, I'm a mechanic at a Kenworth dealer, so I have basic electrical knowledge just not much in the audio/video department. Do you think that this would be something that I would be able to tackle myself?
im sorry i forgot to answer your question. yes, you should be able to do it yourself given your experience working with vehicles. i can always try to help out as well. there is an interface for the backup camera, i have not tried to interface it without it yet. wht kind of screen are you planning to use?

SVTWannabe

Reaction score
im sorry i forgot to answer your question. yes, you should be able to do it yourself given your experience working with vehicles. i can always try to help out as well. there is an interface for the backup camera, i have not tried to interface it without it yet. wht kind of screen are you planning to use?

Thats no problem. Not really sure what screen I would use right now. Kinda up in the air and looking for ideas.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
as an installer, and soon to be audio shop owner, it is my personal preference to go with pioneer. the avic z140bh is the unit i have. both units work well, so its just a matter of what you like.