Really ferd? no bead lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I But think about it when was the last time you had a rod cap come loose or better comparison, a cam shaft journal cap on an aluminum head ..where similar material is used to a bead lock wheel and lock ring together.

Problem is, it's not similar material, there is no metal on metal contact, other than the bolts. The outer ring bolts torque down and pinch the tire between the ring and the rim. You're torquing against tire rubber, which over time will get pinched together and lose elasticity and magically you look down and half your bolts have rattled loose.

You're not torquing in the same way as a bearing cap set and forget, you just keep tightening to achieve the same torque every so often. It's nothing to get a revolution out of a bolt to tighten it up after a short period of time. Rubber don't care.

OP
OP
Keshka

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is, it's not similar material, there is no metal on metal contact, other than the bolts. The outer ring bolts torque down and pinch the tire between the ring and the rim. You're torquing against tire rubber, which over time will get pinched together and lose elasticity and magically you look down and half your bolts have rattled loose.

You're not torquing in the same way as a bearing cap set and forget, you just keep tightening to achieve the same torque every so often. It's nothing to get a revolution out of a bolt to tighten it up after a short period of time. Rubber don't care.
GC, check out what SVT states on page 8 of ten in the document referenced above.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Okay, may be metal to metal on the smaller diameter end of the ring and the bolts lever the outer end of the ring toward the rim and pinch the tire. Either way, the tension on the bolt lessens over time as the rubber compresses. I have run several sets, not Raptor rims though. Some mornings you walk out and a couple bolts are just gone. lol. You don't want me daily driving on beadlocks coming toward you in traffic. :Big Laugh:

Not sure if they recommend loctite. I quit using it when I had to helicoil about 20 holes on a set of Walker Evans wheels because the threaded inserts came out with the bolts.

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sold on not having self inflicted issues with these rings on a daily driver , I get bent when I find a finishing nail in a tire, hell if I had to deal with any of the negatives of running beadlocks for "show" I'd lose it

OP
OP
Keshka

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, may be metal to metal on the smaller diameter end of the ring and the bolts lever the outer end of the ring toward the rim and pinch the tire. Either way, the tension on the bolt lessens over time as the rubber compresses. I have run several sets, not Raptor rims though. Some mornings you walk out and a couple bolts are just gone. lol. You don't want me daily driving on beadlocks coming toward you in traffic. :Big Laugh:

Not sure if they recommend loctite. I quit using it when I had to helicoil about 20 holes on a set of Walker Evans wheels because the threaded inserts came out with the bolts.
Your actual experience says volumes, Thank you!

ps on the loctite. Both the "red" and the "blue" will pretty much let go with heat. Henkel says 500-550f but I have gotten them to loosen way below that. On an aluminum ring that you DON'T want to get hot and ruin the temper I just heat the head of the bolt till the bolt is quite warm or if it's a socked head cap screw, insert an old allen wrench and heat it. It will transfer to the bolt.

pnwobrigade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on SVT specific wheels but just about every bead lock I've ran they specifically mention to not use loctite and instead use anti-seize which in many ways doesn't help with any torque retention, especially at the low tq values here. You are dealing with a steel bolt in an aluminum wheel which is susceptible to water/chemicals and will cause galvanic corrosion. I've seen some very fancy wheels that use steel inserts to avoid this problem but that's rather uncommon.

I'd highly recommend calling somebody like Innov8 and talking to one of their guys (engineers). Some of the most informative calls I've had and they run and test these things daily.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure on SVT specific wheels but just about every bead lock I've ran they specifically mention to not use loctite and instead use anti-seize which in many ways doesn't help with any torque retention, especially at the low tq values here. You are dealing with a steel bolt in an aluminum wheel which is susceptible to water/chemicals and will cause galvanic corrosion. I've seen some very fancy wheels that use steel inserts to avoid this problem but that's rather uncommon.

I'd highly recommend calling somebody like Innov8 and talking to one of their guys (engineers). Some of the most informative calls I've had and they run and test these things daily.
I have to second the informative innov8 calls.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Both the "red" and the "blue" will pretty much let go with heat. Henkel says 500-550f but I have gotten them to loosen way below that.

I’d bet that the if you got loctite red to come loose at lower temps that it wasn’t applied correctly, or under optimum conditions. How many of us here just slab on some thread locker, thread into the threads and move on with life?

Sure, it works mostly like that, but not ideally.

castine917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ruling will never stand up in an appeal, since the two issues (rotation and lug nuts) are interrelated. They failed to acknowledge that the "rotation" included removing the lug nuts, once removed they must be replaced, or the failure creates a safety issue. The Judge(s) that made this ruling should be disbarred since they have failed to uphold the intent of the law in protecting customers from negligent practices. One could say that replacing a crankshaft does not include tightening the main bearing caps back down by their flawed logic, thereby ruining the engine. The ruling is absurd and will never stand up to an appeal.
I agree. When I saw that article I was so shocked that I didn't look at the dates. So far I haven't found records of another appeal. It also appears that the original plaintiff had a criminal record prior to that case and has since passed away. I hope someone followed up with a reversal back towards original judgement that dealer was liable.

PlaynCA

Reaction score
I can say that the 2019 Ford bead lock rings are very well designed and well made. I’ve had them for a couple years, over 10,000 miles and none have loosened, do not use Loctite. Doesn’t take much time to check them.