Real world MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrJayC

Reaction score
Yes I know I've had a few trucks in my day. If I was that concerned I would not have bought the TRX BUT there is a decent difference between the two trucks especially with gas prices going up.

We have 888 days left of this POS in the White House...plenty of time to get gas to $10 a gallon to push their green new deal. Make us suffer so much that we "have to" go electric. They want gas prices to go through the roof.
Cuz the electric grid can handle everyone goin electric #blackoutsgalore

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
We'll have $10 ($11+ premium) gas by August...trust me. Could be $14 by years end.

Texas gas prices are pretty low on the scale compared to the rest of the country. There maybe places with lower fuel costs, but by and large, it’s cheaper here. $10/gallon TX cost would mean higher pretty much anywhere else. We can’t sustain those fuel costs long term, it will cascade throughout the economy like a giant bowling ball.

I think it will continue upward but I hope it levels off before that and then starts returning to expensive, rather than insane.

Desert Dan

Reaction score
I live in Phoenix and get 17+ running around the city, took one short road trip up skiing this winter and touched into the 18's. I am a pretty conservative driver for the most part. Also running good (Chevron) Premium fuel.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh... I've just recently hit 15.2 mpg average...and just hit 2100 miles.
Instant trip mpg is higher, 15.9.

But that's driving boring...normal mode, speed limit, and slow accelerations.

I was driving it fun, blasting through the first 3-4 gears...more often Sport mode...and 10-15 mph above highway speed limit (which is traffic flow in FL; 80-85 mph)...I was only in the high 12s to low 13s mpg.... not acceptable when fuel is $5.70 a gallon. Sigh

Thus driving boring.... hoping fuel prices lower...

lamb00j

Reaction score
for what its worth, i ordered my Raptor and TRX around the same time (TRX was 11k under MSRP and Raptor was at MSRP). Got my TRX a few months ago and it has been fun. I cant complain, just looks like an inflated Rebel in the lot. Its fast, gas isnt as good as you are getting but its not bad (i average around 13.1 mpg). I still have my raptor on order but snagged a Code Orange Gen 3 37 from local dealer as they messed up the pricing. I get a touch better mileage with the raptor at 14.4mpg, but its not worlds different. I Prefer the raptor after having it 2 weeks. I like the interior better as well as the center dash for the speedo. I have not taken the Raptor off roading, but have with the TRX. I do plan to get rid of the TRX soon as i have no need to 2 pickups.

Not sure if this helps, but if you love the TRX (i never did fully embrace it) then i would keep it. The sound is amazing (i have a trackhawk as well as my family mover, so i am fully into the speed and sound). The Gen3 wont touch it in speed, or in sound. but it does sound like an angry GTR.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something to consider....if the fuel you are buying contains ethanol you will get poorer milage as it reduces the BTU per gallon. Additionally, I would like to see some comparisons of premium vs regular as the Raptor ECU adjusts the engine output for the type fuel it's burning.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Buys 100K Off-Road and is concerned about MPG.
As others have stated it is a concern, and not always for cost. I routinely have a 500 mile distance till empty on a full tank. My friend loves his TRX in every way....except his distance till empty. We did some dune racing a few weeks ago and he had to tap out because he burned through his tank and 20 provisional gallons before noon.... on a full tank he showed a 325 distance till empty for a $200 fill up. Convenience becomes a factor.

T8ter

Reaction score
I’ve got a 21 with 35s. I’ve put about 13,*** miles one it since I picked it up in September. I average 17-18 mpg on the highway and 15-16 in town. I get on it every now and again, but don’t beat the hell out of it. I run premium with no ethanol and the truck has a SmartCap on it. When pulling 6,000ish lbs it got about 10-15mpg depending on weather and terrain. I’m sure it will only get better, or at least stay the same and be more fun once we can get the Gen 3s tuned.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As others have stated it is a concern, and not always for cost. I routinely have a 500 mile distance till empty on a full tank. My friend loves his TRX in every way....except his distance till empty. We did some dune racing a few weeks ago and he had to tap out because he burned through his tank and 20 provisional gallons before noon.... on a full tank he showed a 325 distance till empty for a $200 fill up. Convenience becomes a factor.
This. In spades. Who doesn't love 700hp? But who loves running out of gas 100 miles from the nearest gas station and having no cell coverage to boot? It's why I have no interest in the R unless Ford delivers a 600 mile range.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This. In spades. Who doesn't love 700hp? But who loves running out of gas 100 miles from the nearest gas station and having no cell coverage to boot? It's why I have no interest in the R unless Ford delivers a 600 mile range.
I don't know what gas mileage the "R" will get, however, if the 755 hp. Shelby F150 is any indication, you should see a range of about 500ish. It got a reliable 14.5 mpg. I drove it reasonably. The only time I really stepped into it hard was when I'd go to pass someone and they'd try to outrun a Shelby.

I felt like Wylie Coyote tied to a ACME rocket.
200.gif