Real world experience with your warranty and mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc1gator

Reaction score
You can get an extended warranty up to the 36 month or 36K miles. Don't let your mileage or time go beyond that.

I went with Flood Ford 75K miles for just over $1k ($100.00 deductible). It is worth the peace of mind. I wish I would have went for 100K. I'm at 55K now, modded and not a single problem.

I have a great relationship with my dealer and service manager.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with a 100k 8yr for my 2017 right before the 3 yr ran out last year. I’m just past 30 and have only put 4k/yr on my vehicles combined for the last several years but am glad I got the coverage I did. Just got a new job with a 15 mile commute instead of the combo 2mile or work from home I’ve been doing for the last 4 years. I have an intake and stage 1 cobb Accessport map. I’m not super concerned they’ll fault that for much if anything.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with a 100k 8yr for my 2017 right before the 3 yr ran out last year. I’m just past 30 and have only put 4k/yr on my vehicles combined for the last several years but am glad I got the coverage I did. Just got a new job with a 15 mile commute instead of the combo 2mile or work from home I’ve been doing for the last 4 years. I have an intake and stage 1 cobb Accessport map. I’m not super concerned they’ll fault that for much if anything.

Your giving me confidence lol

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your giving me confidence lol
I’m also just fine if it f’s something up and I have to pay to fix it. It’s not my only ride and I’m not making payments or stretched out financially just to have the thing. Examine your own situation honestly and make a good decision. If you’re into $800 a month payments that you sometimes struggle with and it’s your main commuter vehicle you may be better served by making a different decision.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m also just fine if it f’s something up and I have to pay to fix it. It’s not my only ride and I’m not making payments or stretched out financially just to have the thing. Examine your own situation honestly and make a good decision. If you’re into $800 a month payments that you sometimes struggle with and it’s your main commuter vehicle you may be better served by making a different decision.

Yes certainly. It’s my daily and has to be dependable. It also has to retain certain characteristics of being stock and enjoyable. Sometimes performance minded folk just always think of what else can I do. Worst thing one can do is make it a over worked S____ Box!

brown baron

Reaction score
Currently going through some drivetrain issues with my local dealership. I have extended warranty on the engine and transmission. This is my second time coming in for the same issue and both times they have tried to place the blame on my "mods" which are literally lights being wired in the aux switches.

Your luck with warranty & mods will come down to the dealership.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes certainly. It’s my daily and has to be dependable. It also has to retain certain characteristics of being stock and enjoyable. Sometimes performance minded folk just always think of what else can I do. Worst thing one can do is make it a over worked S____ Box!
I’ve made that mistake more than once. Now I’m approaching my mid 40’s and don’t have the time or desire to dump hours and hours of busted knuckles making my vehicle better and then worse. One lesson I’ve learned is that I love stock suspensions. Other than swaybar and subframe bushings my CTSV suspension is completely factory. And it’s fine that way.

Retired in TN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally caught up with a Ford Service Advisor. He was very cool, way more than I expected. Eibach springs in front and a 1.5” taller leaf block in back did not rattle him. Additionally, he said if I tune the truck, I “should probably remove it if you need service”. Of course he may not be the guiding voice in 2 years if I need service.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally caught up with a Ford Service Advisor. He was very cool, way more than I expected. Eibach springs in front and a 1.5” taller leaf block in back did not rattle him. Additionally, he said if I tune the truck, I “should probably remove it if you need service”. Of course he may not be the guiding voice in 2 years if I need service.
Service advisor is the last person to listen too. Most have zero technical background; their job is to sell service.

The Warranty & Policy manual spells everything out for the dealership. If they replace anything under warranty and the failure is attributable to a modification, they’re committing warranty fraud. That means things like failed CV axles with a lift, steering gear failure with oversized tires, engine failure with a tune, etc.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a tough spot. I enjoy modding my vehicles but I generally don't keep them long. I am hoping to keep the Raptor long term which is why I am wanting the esp. I am 53 and have never purchased an extended warranty and I also treat me vehicles pretty well. Having said that It would be nice to let someone else do any work needed for awhile.
I think visiting my local dealerships and talking to them may be my best bet. I posted because I imagine there are a few people in a similar situation and knowing about a few instances where people were denied may help.

You enjoy ******* $$$ modifying vehicles you don’t intend to keep any length of time, but when it comes to a vehicle you’d like to keep long term you would rather pay extra for a warranty you probably won’t use. Interesting rationale.