GEN 1 RCV Axles on a Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we get some info on these? I have all of this annoying money sitting around I keep trying to give you...

Last I heard they are out of stock, but had another order in. I got some a few months back, but haven't been able to try them out yet.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we get some info on these? I have all of this annoying money sitting around I keep trying to give you...

1-866-691-7750. I suggest this route instead of the forum.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any updates on the new RCV axles? replacing my axles now as the hub bearing failed. trying to decide if upgrading to the RCV will be worth it

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I have the Ultimate RCV axles for my truck and stopped running them about a year ago. I run 37" BFGs and Fox 3.0 set at 26.5" hub to fender (Glass fenders). My stock CVs last less than one outing before one or both break. I can change them in the field in about 20 minutes each... cheap at about $289 a unit. Takes considerable more time to replace a wheel bearing but I've gotten pretty good at that too. The Ultimate RCVs... I have never broke one... they are SOLID! BUT... they break the center thrust bearing and needle bearing in the wheel bearing (where the 13mm cap nut sets) causing it to wobble and destroy the IWE. If you don't notice in time the the outer shaft of the axle will be grinded as well and that IS NOT COVERED BY Ultimate RCV... your Ford parts caused that to happen... Don't ask me how I know that answer. I too would like a dependable solution for my 4x4. As a 4x2 the truck is perfect though.

Interesting, cause I had the needle bearings fail, ruining my stock axles. I called RCV and asked if this happened again with their axles installed what would happen as far as warranty goes. cause I agree, this isn't a RCV issue, its a hub issue. they told me that they would take care of me, or at least not be out a $2500 set of axles. he also told me that they haven't seen that exact problem. interested in your experience, as my concern is ruining a set of expensive axles rather than a set of $400 stock axles. I haven't ever broken my stock ones, but I do like to upgrade stuff when I can, and since I have to replace them anyway, figured it might be a good time to do so

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any updates on the new RCV axles? replacing my axles now as the hub bearing failed. trying to decide if upgrading to the RCV will be worth it

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Interesting, cause I had the needle bearings fail, ruining my stock axles. I called RCV and asked if this happened again with their axles installed what would happen as far as warranty goes. cause I agree, this isn't a RCV issue, its a hub issue. they told me that they would take care of me, or at least not be out a $2500 set of axles. he also told me that they haven't seen that exact problem. interested in your experience, as my concern is ruining a set of expensive axles rather than a set of $400 stock axles. I haven't ever broken my stock ones, but I do like to upgrade stuff when I can, and since I have to replace them anyway, figured it might be a good time to do so

I still do not run the RCV axles. They are sitting on a shelf in my shop gathering dust since the last time I broke the inner wheel bearing. The last time Cory would not warrant the outer shafts of the axle. Just not economical to use them. The stock shaft, wheel bearing and IWE is cheaper to replace than the RCV outter stub. I still fight the same issue and simply don't use 4WD much.

I'm not trashing RCV here but if I would have known all this before hand I would not have purchased these axles. To be fair RCV replaced my outter stub the first time, but now im on my own and they have nothing for me. The wheel bearing failures ARE a Ford problem but the lifetime warrantee from RCV is kind of pointless if they still get damaged and not made good on.

So, I would suggest you take a pass until there is a solution to the weak Ford inner wheel bearing. Save the $3k for replacing the stock units.

Joel

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only cure for that inner needle bearing is maintenance. If I have mine apart for any reason, I clean and regrease those bearings. Already tore up one axle end from water/dirt getting inside. You can buy the small bearings separate from the hub assembly on Amazon

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only cure for that inner needle bearing is maintenance. If I have mine apart for any reason, I clean and regrease those bearings. Already tore up one axle end from water/dirt getting inside. You can buy the small bearings separate from the hub assembly on Amazon

What is the part number? I looked for these for a while and lost interest when i kept deadending. How about the sealed thrust bearing? Do you have a part number for that? This is the one that usually fails first when running the RCV axles. Ford is useless for info on these.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When in 4wd I get a pop from time to time but not too often. Just turned 45k and would like to be enlightened on any possible maintenance to prevent or lessen possible failure.

tec548

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "pop" you describe is the axle binding. With the OEM shafts you are usually okay, but with the RCV it often times breaks the inner bearings. This is because the RCV is so much stronger (and stiffer). Easy way to check is remove the center cap that covers the 13mm stub shaft nut and look for metal shavings, looseness ang grease leakage. Also grab the stub shaft at the outer boot and try to move it. If it moves, replace imeadately. Even 2wd will continue to damage the stub shafts and IWE. You can also drive near a fence and listen for a jingle or scraping sound, but if you hear this you have a lot of parts to replace brother.

Joel