GEN 1 RCV Axles on a Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm hitting a point of frustration with four wheel drive failures that I need a permanent solution. The only real one I have been able to find is the RCV kit, but after reading through quite a few threads, I have concerns.

What do you guys think about going to RCVs on a daily driver? I do also wheel it heavily at times, so it does get used. Some of the threads have been very concerning, others seem fine, so I was hoping to compile a more centralized thread regarding RCV experiences. I'm not so concerned about mileage as I am about wearing out parts prematurely. Is this a real concern? I also plan to tow a lighter toyhauler a lot soon, should I be worried there?

Thanks for any input you can provide. I'm extremely frustrated with breaking this crappy IWE setup.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You might want to edit your post. Cause I think you are talking about the RCV IWE Delete kit and not the RCV Axles. The RCV Axles are the $3k axles that are amazing and free rebuilds with better joints.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You might want to edit your post. Cause I think you are talking about the RCV IWE Delete kit and not the RCV Axles. The RCV Axles are the $3k axles that are amazing and free rebuilds with better joints.

I was actually talking about the axles.

I didn't realize there was a separate eliminator kit. I'm assuming that just gets rid of the IWEs and makes the stock axles always live, just like the full RCV setup? Or do the RCVs use the stock IWEs unless you do the eliminator kit?

Their site has been down for a couple days, making research a bit tough.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the IWE eliminators remove the IWE and lock the axles so they are always live.
You can use stock or RCV axles with it. I would hate to spend $3k on the axles for stock length. I would go with a Longer Travel setup if I was going to spend the money on the axles to get the needed added length

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the IWE eliminators remove the IWE and lock the axles so they are always live.
You can use stock or RCV axles with it. I would hate to spend $3k on the axles for stock length. I would go with a Longer Travel setup if I was going to spend the money on the axles to get the needed added length

I'm not sure that I'm going to get to a long travel, however my understanding is that that is a LOT of cash. The RCV axles I've seen are around $2,500. Considering I've had 4-5 multi-day trips cut short or ruined by failing IWEs and CVs, I'm not against dropping $2,500 to prohibit that from happening and feeling that my 4WD is reliable.

So, really, the question at hand is would the eliminator kit + axles be feasible for a daily driver + toy, or am I just going to have other problems?

scarrjack

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am interested in some more info here as well. I have had the RCV IWE delete's on for close to a year with no problems so far, daily driven with a bunch of offroad excursions. The RCV axles are a lot of money but like you say may be worth it in the long run, maybe Santa will leave me a set under the tree this year.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The RCV axle CV's are much better than the factory. They can handle better angles where the factory bind and have better a better seal/boot for protection.

Biggest thing is you have now strengthened the IWE and axle when you go that route so only question then is whats the next weak link.

I would have no worries about DD with the RCV axles. Just wish they were not that pricey.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I feel like we have never heard back regarding a reliable RCV axle for the Raptor. They had two generations that constantly failed. Ask @beemerman.

Then a third came out and @Netix was testing them, along with @RPG. But the results were not documented here on FRF, that I know of.

Free rebuilds for life is nice, but not when your truck is down for a few weeks while you ship them back, get them rebuilt, and then have to reinstall them.
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

D

Deleted member 12951

I was talking with Corey at RTF and he said that they are working with RCV on a new axle and boot for the raptor. The new boot is not the toilet plunger type, it looks more like a stock one but beefier and still a better seal. If I was thinking about getting a set, I would check with RCV to see when that one is planning on coming to market first.
@RPG

Actually now I am wondering if this is the new design on their site?

http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details-axles.aspx?sku=CVJIFS-FORD1

Last edited by a moderator:

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had the first gen on my truck at snoball 1. Inner boot was held on by a zip tie, that was the first failure. Had them changed out in Michigan to the gen 2. Didn't last a few hundred miles then the red boot broke. May have been the extreme cold. When I got home I changed back to stock. They may be stronger, but back then, the boots were crap.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 140