GEN 2 RCI skid plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing the horrible excuse for “skid plates” under my son’s new truck, I decided to swap the stock plates from my Raptor over to his truck and order some new ones for me. Thanks again to Nick@Apollo Optics for the outstanding service ...as always!

These came in yesterday, but didn’t have time to open ‘em until late this afternoon. Ordered the plain/non-powder coated aluminum version since I knew I was going to spray them with bed liner material anyway. They’ll be under the truck, so it really doesn’t matter, but I thought it’d be good to have a little extra protection on there anyway.

Anyway, you can see a couple of them in the plain/shiny stock form in the background, this one was just hit with some self-etching primer after a good cleaning with degreaser and some brake cleaner:

i-tzZrT2R-4K.jpg

Another one after I hit it with a couple coats of some spray-can bed liner:

i-6zrQpMH-4K.jpg

I looked at a couple different brands but then saw this on the shelf at my local Autozone:

i-8Bpmmr8-4K.jpg

...how could I not buy it! LOL

Will update mañana after I get them installed, but already super impressed. Great quality and details in the form and function of each plate. Well packaged too...very impressed so far.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
NICE! At least with Raptor truck bed coating you --KNOW-- you are paying the Raptor tax, not hidden like some products ;-)

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with the powder coated steel version - I asked RCI point blank about protection, they said the steel is stronger even though it is obviously heavier. They fit perfectly too!

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raptor liner is legit stuff, especially the 2k version where you have to puncture the hardener from the bottom. It's more than the other aerosol cans, but it's a LOT better.

D

Deleted member 12951

I had the RCI transmission skid plate in steel. I thought the HeftyWorks one was better until KHC came out with theirs. I wish the RCI had better coverage on the transmission one to protect the exhaust on both sides, especially the passenger side. And the oil opening needs to be a lot bigger. When draining oil, it will hit the skid plate and run all down it unless you put something there to catch it. I usually just ended up removing the entire skid plate during an oil change so it didn’t make a mess. The RCI Transmission plate does protect the exhaust cross pipe that runs lower than the crossmember making protecting that worth it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had the RCI transmission skid plate in steel. I thought the HeftyWorks one was better until KHC came out with theirs. I wish the RCI had better coverage on the transmission one to protect the exhaust on both sides, especially the passenger side. And the oil opening needs to be a lot bigger. When draining oil, it will hit the skid plate and run all down it unless you put something there to catch it. I usually just ended up removing the entire skid plate during an oil change so it didn’t make a mess. The RCI Transmission plate does protect the exhaust cross pipe that runs lower than the crossmember making protecting that worth it.

Legit crash. Long hospital stay, you just got sprung and you’re still on here helping out. Just sayin’

Good to have you here.
:cheers:

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update... Went in easy-peasy.

i-PXVpFK5-4K.jpg

Only thing to keep in mind is that if you buy the entire set as I did, the front plate is redundant. Stock plate is actually a bit larger so I just kept it in place. I guess I’ll fit the RCI front plate to my son’s truck when he comes home for the Thanksgiving break.

Re: oil changes, probably just as easy to simply pull the entire middle plate vs. removing the built-in access plate and trying to shove your paw up into that hole to access the drain plug. That middle plate just requires you to remove two bolts on the back, and loosen the other two at the front where the plate is just slotted. I’ve been letting the dealership do my oil changes so far, just because I don’t want to mess with that stupid yellow plastic plug, but I do prefer to do my own oil changes to ensure it’s done correctly.

There is a slot machined into the RCI plate that I assume is there to help excess oil drip out, but no desire to deal with that kind of never ending mess to clean up. Really wish my early build ‘18 had the metal pan so I could just install the Fumoto valve...guess I should look into that one made by Ronin for the plastic oil pans.

Speaking of oil, since I was under the truck anyway, I went ahead and removed the bottom of the oil catch can (vs draining via the petcock valve). Just over 1/3 full after ~7K miles since I last drained it:

i-Wt66gGd-X4.jpg

Typical watery oil mix... But here’s the real reason I wholeheartedly believe in catch cans on cars with forced induction (tend to have more blow by than naturally aspirated engines):

i-vSpV5WQ-X4.jpg

It’s not the oil mist that will burn off for the most part after being injected back into the intake via the PCV valve, it’s the sludge that inevitably builds up as a result. This nasty crap was thick enough that if I’d have tried to drain the reservoir via the petcock valve (as I did ~12K miles ago), I would have had to poke a long screw driver or punch up in there to unblock the drain. Nasty, nasty stuff I’d just as soon not have accumulating in my intake.

At any rate, Two thumbs up for RCI ‘s plates...great fit, and arrived in great packaging. Three thumbs up for @Nick@apollooptics ...great sales service as usual!

I give that Raptor coating 1/2 of a thumb sideways...maybe. It’s already flaking off...or at least the textured part is. Will see if the rest comes off as easily after running it through some dirt and a few cars washes.

Last edited:

Raptorrunner

Reaction score
Awesome! Am a fan of RCI, had them on my 4runner and maybe ill get theirs for the raptor ;)

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI if you don't want or need the very front skid plate (I didn't need it because my bumper has a skidplate) you can call them and get the kit without the front skid and save some cash...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts