Rattling in low gear under light -mild load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I have a 2020 Gen 2 raptor with 20k on it. I’ve recently noticed a rattling noise in 1st to 3rd / 4th gear when under light load starting up. I don’t hear it consistently, but when driving through narrow streets where echoes reverberate off of parked cars - you can tell something sounds off. You have to be on the gas to hear the noise.
Does anybody have any idea what this might be? What is involved in the fix and how serious an issue it may be / become?

The dealership I go to is a waste of time. They are absolute dog shit with service and treatment - even scraped all my wheels when re-balancing / aligning my wheels recently. I’d like to have an idea before going back to them.

OP
OP
ChrisMcP05

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I have a 2020 Gen 2 with 20k miles. It recently started to make a rattling noise in 1-4 gears under light to moderate load. I started to notice it driving down narrow streets where I could hear the echoes off of cars around. It sounds like it’s coming from the rear but I can’t be sure.
Does anyone know what this might be? What cost / fix may be associated with it?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, first off, you should be under warranty. To test if it is the iwe's, switch it to 4h and see if the noise goes away, get back to us with that. Could be a loose heat shield by the starter/ exhaust, etc, check that out yourself, just shimmy under the truck and take a look and feel. If you think it is your rear springs being noisy, you could always go to the car wash and pressure wash between the leaf packets and see if that helps it. Keep us posted ,, bro!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s most likely normal wastegate rattle. The wastegates linkages need to have tolerance built into them due to expansion that occurs as the turbochargers heat up. The reason you hear it when driving between parked cars on narrow streets is because the turbochargers are located in each fender well with no insulation, which allows for maximum heat dissipation.

OP
OP
ChrisMcP05

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s most likely normal wastegate rattle. The wastegates linkages need to have tolerance built into them due to expansion that occurs as the turbochargers heat up. The reason you hear it when driving between parked cars on narrow streets is because the turbochargers are located in each fender well with no insulation, which allows for maximum heat dissipation.
I was testing it out in 4wd to see if I still hear it (if related to IWE) and it seems like it still makes the noise. (So assuming maybe the wastegate)

im going to try again when it stops raining here. If it were IWE how simple of a fix is that?

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as it starts to make the rattling sound switch it to 4A and if the sound instantly goes away it's your IWE's.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Hi all-

I have a 2020 Gen 2 with 20k miles. It recently started to make a rattling noise in 1-4 gears under light to moderate load. I started to notice it driving down narrow streets where I could hear the echoes off of cars around. It sounds like it’s coming from the rear but I can’t be sure.
Does anyone know what this might be? What cost / fix may be associated with it?
I noticed this with mine a few years ago, one of the few times I had the windows down, driving next to some concrete barriers. That was probably 50k miles ago, seems like it's just normal.

Sekah

Reaction score
I just noticed the same issue on my 2020 raptor. I have 32k miles on it. Did you figure it out? I'm planing on taking it to the dealer to get it checked out. Also, for some reason, I can't duplicate the sound. it seems to be random and I'm not sure what to tell the dealer. any suggestions?

OP
OP
ChrisMcP05

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed the same issue on my 2020 raptor. I have 32k miles on it. Did you figure it out? I'm planing on taking it to the dealer to get it checked out. Also, for some reason, I can't duplicate the sound. it seems to be random and I'm not sure what to tell the dealer. any suggestions?
I think it’s just a normal rattle unfortunately. It bugged me for the life of the vehicle but it never impacted the performance or use, and it never seemed to get worse / louder. Just stayed consistent under low end load. I had the dealer try to look into it and like expected they didn’t find anything.