Rattle when truck is cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Edwin

Edwin

Reaction score
I used a rubber hose and placed it by my ear as a makeshift ‘stethoscope’ to try to pinpoint the noise. It’s definitely coming from the rear of the engine near the transmission bell housing. I’m thinking it’s something caught inside the transmission bell or one of the turbos is going out.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Video (Turn volume up)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
This rattling noise started recently. It’s very noticeable when the truck is cold but a lot less noticeable when it warms up.
Seems to be coming from somewhere in/near the engine. Taking it to the stealership Monday but wanted to see if anyone has heard it before.

I don’t think it’s phasers, I got those done about 2 years ago. The truck is a 2017 about to hit 68k miles.
Mine literally just started doing this exact same thing. I traced it back to turbo ares. Thinking waste gate linkage maybe… it sounds link it’s inside the turbo on mine. If I rev it up good it seems to go away. Other thought I have is it’s the variable turbo veins going out and once they warm or adjust it stops scraping. Mine is a 17 about to hit 90k.

cplreyes

Reaction score
No. Definitely not. I’ve heard the noise it makes at startup and this is nothing like it.
I went back to hear it. It sounds like a heat shield is loose. Never mind, that sounds bad. I would take it to a mechanic. Or, try looking at the belts. I replaced an idler on my SC challenger. I thought it was a bad SC but it was a simple fix. Bearings can go bad pretty easily when a seal is damaged.