Rattle when truck is cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edwin

Reaction score
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Video (Turn volume up)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
This rattling noise started recently. It’s very noticeable when the truck is cold but a lot less noticeable when it warms up.
Seems to be coming from somewhere in/near the engine. Taking it to the stealership Monday but wanted to see if anyone has heard it before.

I don’t think it’s phasers, I got those done about 2 years ago. The truck is a 2017 about to hit 68k miles.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose shield or something metal setting on top of one of the shields or skid plates.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be a long shot, but try looking in both wheel wells at the turbo. Locate the wastegate. There is a clip that prevents the adjustable rod jam nut from loosening. The clip becomes dislodged, and rattles around. Snap it back in place if that’s the issue.

Your rattle is pretty pronounced… kinda thinking it’s not what I described, but it’s worth a try.

OP
OP
Edwin

Edwin

Reaction score
Might be a long shot, but try looking in both wheel wells at the turbo. Locate the wastegate. There is a clip that prevents the adjustable rod jam nut from loosening. The clip becomes dislodged, and rattles around. Snap it back in place if that’s the issue.

Your rattle is pretty pronounced… kinda thinking it’s not what I described, but it’s worth a try.
Just checked that. There’s play in the clip, but if i grab it with pliers, the noise still persists. I can pinpoint the noise a little more and it almost seems to be coming from the oil pan area.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap… make sure there is no loose hardware that secures the skid plate/ cover under the engine/ transmission areas. Also, very the brackets that the hardware screws into isn’t bent up making contact with the exhaust.