Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 Rattle When Off Throttle

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Sbags, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Sbags

Sbags Member

Hi All,

My truck is MY2017. I don't believe this is the VCT or solenoid rattle that others have dealt with. The rattle comes around 1) under 15 mph and 2) when off the throttle and immediately stops when you hit the gas.

I recorded it in my garage because with wind it was impossible to pick up with the phone. But when driving, the rattle drones on and doesn't stop until you put the gas back on or stop.

Dealer has had it for a week and cannot figure out what it is but admits there is a rattle. Hoping this community will have better luck than the dealer.

2. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

What year is the truck?

3. Sbags

Sbags Member

Sorry about that, 2017.

4. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

There is a TSB for turbocharger wastegate rattle, which is what it sounds like. TSB # 20-2016.

5. Sbags

Sbags Member

Bumping this back up. The dealership for some reason thinks it's the rear differential. I told them that can't be the case because the video I linked above was when the vehicle was in neutral. I suggested that it could be the baffles in the exhaust given that it happens when stationary and at a certain rpm when off throttle.

To me it doesn't sound like the wastegate rattle, it's much louder...

6. Antho

Antho Full Access Member

Sounds like exhaust or shield rattling