Rattle Under Boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been noticing a rattle noise, almost sounds like something is loose, when under boost. The noise occurs under both 2H and 4A at various speeds. It’s noticeable with windows up and certainly louder with windows down. I’m not entirely sure if it’s something turbo/wastegate related or IWE. I saw previous threads mentioning a hose replacement part for IWE, which I picked up and installed, it quelled the issue for that day. The noise is back. I’m taking it in next week for the camera recall and I’d love to give the service department more info on the issue so it will be easier for everyone involved. Anybody else experienced this noise before? Any possible fixes I can do myself? Thanks in advance!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The way I understand it, if the IWE system begins to go bad and you don’t catch it fast enough it can cause some engagement damage.

have you replaced the ubiquitous check valve?

OP
OP
LeadFootLarry

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did indeed replace the check valve, just went out and reconnected it again to ensure a proper fit. Also took a peek at the wastegate linkage to see if anything was overly loose. All seemed fine. Went for a quick drive, under boost, no noise this time...That happened last time too but it came back like I mentioned so we’ll see if it reappears. The pessimistic side of me says it will lol

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
hmm... inconsistent, but, possibly you’re making a diff by mucking about with the IWE system. I’d try this - UNDO whatever last change you made was; maybe loosen the check valve connection, retest, then tighten or connect more securely, retest and if you can get some consistency to the results, maybe you’ve got it.

Reaction score
Do you guys think I am having a similar issue? I've been getting a rattle when starting from cold. Rattle only happens for less than 1 second. If the truck has sat for a few days it might hesitate, too. No lights on the dash or other issues of any kind. I haven't noticed additional rattle at speed or under boost, but will pay attention for it. What do y'all think... Is what I have described the same issue or enough that I should get it to a dealer to check it out?

BillVickers

Reaction score
Do you guys think I am having a similar issue? I've been getting a rattle when starting from cold. Rattle only happens for less than 1 second. If the truck has sat for a few days it might hesitate, too. No lights on the dash or other issues of any kind. I haven't noticed additional rattle at speed or under boost, but will pay attention for it. What do y'all think... Is what I have described the same issue or enough that I should get it to a dealer to check it out?

Wastegate.

OP
OP
LeadFootLarry

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@David Stooksbury my noise doesn’t occur on cold starts so it would sound like we are experiencing different things. Truck made the sound again today on first drive in the AM. Seems like it might only be happening when the truck is warm?

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LeadFootLarry I have a similar noise to what you are describing. Notice it most when I’m getting on the highway, full throttle at about 5k RPM plus.

I first noticed it when I was doing logs for with Goosetune and thought it was spark knock. Winfield confirmed it wasn’t after viewing my logs.

I also had the dealer check the IWE system and they claimed everything was ok.

I still have the noise, not sure what it is.

OP
OP
LeadFootLarry

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KAJRIP do you have a location on where the sound comes from? Mine seems to originate from the front passenger side of the vehicle