Raptors under 45k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bnelson

Reaction score
I’m a new member to the Forums and joined to research a Raptor purchase. I’ve always been a Ford SVT enthusiast. I own/have owned several Lightnings, Cobras, and my DD “beater” is an SVT Contour. I recently purchased a smaller enclosed trailer (20ft, 7k lbs fully loaded) for taking my Cobra to track days and my old gas-powered regular cab F250 I am currently using to tow with is getting pretty tired and can’t fit my family so I’m looking for a newer crew cab truck. The option I like best so far is a crew cab Raptor. I do understand there are much better trucks specifically for towing. I only tow ~15 days a year. Before my current gas F250 I had a diesel super duty and a larger trailer, it towed fantastic but I hated driving it the other ~350 days of the year. I think a CC Raptor would fit my family nicely, open up some options for off-road adventures with the wife and kids, seems capable of towing my trailer, seems to have lower than average depreciation, and is interesting enough to take a bit of the sting off selling my Lightning to help pay for it.

All that leads me to my actual question: With a $45k budget, what’s a better buy right now a 13-14 Gen1 or a Gen2? Autotrader shows about 40 examples of each generation under $45k with <100k miles. Condition and history matter much more than mileage to me. I like the simplicity, price, and reliability of a Gen1. A supercharged gen1 or one far enough under budget to cover a supercharger kit would probably be my ideal. The Gen2 definitely feels and looks much more modern and I think the Ecoboost would tow better than an NA 6.2 (I’m at 5000ft elevation) but maybe 45k is at the lower end for finding a good example. I'm not financing so I have to be pretty firm on not creeping past $45k. If that means I can't get a decent Gen1 or Gen2 Raptor Ill likely just reduce the budget and buy a more basic/practical truck. Thanks for any input.

OP
OP
B

Bnelson

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that one. Supercharged too which is really pretty key for me on a gen1 but I need a crew cab for the family. It does give me hope that I could find something similar but CC in my price range.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 2013 Jen Juan SCREW. Not TOTALLY computerized to where you can’t work on it, enough creature comforts to not feel out dated, nice V8 sound and works well for my family of 4 aswell. BUT I’m not saying I WOULDNT trade up to a jen2 if I had the opportunity :cool:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that one. Supercharged too which is really pretty key for me on a gen1 but I need a crew cab for the family. It does give me hope that I could find something similar but CC in my price range.
Don’t buy one with a supercharger kit, especially if you’re going to be towing. That’s the fastest way to melt down a cylinder or put a rod through the block.

OP
OP
B

Bnelson

Reaction score
Well I bought a 2013 Roush crew cab. The Gen2s are great too but when I pictured myself owning a Raptor, it was always a white gen 1 Roush, so here we are. Its still in transit, should see it later this week. Got it under my initial budget so if it windows the block I guess I have some money left for a better short block. I have towed a little with my Lightning, its not hard to stay out of boost apart from the occasional hill climb. I am planning on doing some cooling improvements for a little safety margin when towing but hopefully it will do fine for my limited towing use.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I bought a 2013 Roush crew cab. The Gen2s are great too but when I pictured myself owning a Raptor, it was always a white gen 1 Roush, so here we are. Its still in transit, should see it later this week. Got it under my initial budget so if it windows the block I guess I have some money left for a better short block. I have towed a little with my Lightning, its not hard to stay out of boost apart from the occasional hill climb. I am planning on doing some cooling improvements for a little safety margin when towing but hopefully it will do fine for my limited towing use.
Get a JDM tune in it and you will be good.
The Roush tune is terrible. What Ford Tech1 was referring to is exasperated with a Roush tune.
The Roush tune does not retard enough timing for load and boost, they choose to chase the heat with more fuel. So towing and say bad/cheap fuel, stock heat range plugs and a high load and boom... you can melt her down.

OP
OP
B

Bnelson

Reaction score
Thanks for that insight. I'm still trying to learn all the details of this platform. It does already have the JDM 700 kit installed so that's a plus. The smaller pulley should help it get back to stock Roush sea-level boost. I'm at 6000ft elevation and we typically loose 2-3psi on a blower compared to sea level. It has the trans recall still open and I'm not sure how the JDM tune effects that issue or how it would effect the recall process if I choose to have it done. The seller told me JDM recommended not doing the Ford reflash, but I plan to call them to confirm and do some more digging on the issue.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reflash was a Band-Aid. The "fix" is a new Leadframe.
The flash just prevents the trans from dropping from 6th to 1st WHEN the lead-frame fails.
There are a ton of warning signs prior to total failure, most people just ignore it until it does the dangerous downshift.
As soon as I got my latest Gen 1 I saw that the recall was open so I bought a lead-frame and had my trans shop install it. Never touched the tune.