Raptor's Achilles Heel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No Clue

Reaction score
Driving the trail out of the desert today, wasn't going nuts since I had 5 adults and our outdoorsy gear in the bed. Rear end slid out a little in curve and the rear tire slapped the hillside. Pulled off to where a buddy left his truck and that's when we heard the leak. A little bit of dirt and some small pebbles got wedged into the bead. The factory jack worked fine, truck was level enough over some hard pack dirt for the tire change.
IMG_20191215_165530.jpg
IMG_20191215_165541.jpg IMG_20191215_165547.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Man, I’ve done that back in ’89 on my first 4x4. I went wheeling the night before a deployment ( short one, nothing fancy ). I had arranged to arrive at the air field by POV, and I got to parking area and I thought to myself - darn, that tire looks low. I checked and it was low and def. low pressure. I hustle inside, check in with 1sg and let him know I’m out with the truck, holler if I’m needed early, and assure him I’ll be locked up at attention for formation. bang, zoom, change the tire to the spare, hook up the flat tire in the spare location and hoof it back.

I return, do a visual on the tire thinking I picked up nail or something. Never occurred to me what happened. I took it to local tire place, they can’t find a nail or tire leak. after messing about for about half an hour, they unseat the tire and boom - there was a stick that was stuck in the bead. You couldn’t see it without unseating, it was sheared off, not sticking out of the tire. Only I could do something like this. or so I thought.

OP
OP
No Clue

No Clue

Reaction score
That's exactly what it is. "Achilles' heel: a weak point or fault in someone or something otherwise perfect or excellent. (From the legend of Greek hero Achilles)."

With regards to a bead reseat, I felt it was safer and quicker to swap in the spare.
The main take-away I hoped for readers is that you don't need to be hitting it hard to get your bead jammed with gunk and that the factory jack worked very well on hard-packed dirt.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Uh....What did I miss?....Someone made a driver error (which all of us are capable of) and the result is now an "Achilles' heel"?

Hardly rises to that level....

no, lets go with it. Lets also add the doors ( since i dented mine ), the rear axle ( since mine leaked a little after catching 8 feet of air a few times about a minute apart) and the windshield washer fluid bottle ( since it gets int he way when you want to run 40s)

all Achilles heels for the raptor.

:chewie::chewie::chewie:

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no, lets go with it. Lets also add the doors ( since i dented mine ), the rear axle ( since mine leaked a little after catching 8 feet of air a few times about a minute apart) and the windshield washer fluid bottle ( since it gets int he way when you want to run 40s)
Very funny!
Been driving off road (4 wh vehs) since 1977 and just about every single "problem" while driving pretty much fell on my stupid shoulders....:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts