Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I did a couple searches and couldn't find info on exactly what I was looking for. I'm planning on ordering a snugtop when this COVID mess ends for camping in the back of the truck. I had a couple questions for those with experience:

1) Does the weight of the cap require +2HD Deavers?

2) Should I be concerned about flex in the cap? I'm not going to be doing serious off roading but would like to be able to take some fun trails in MOAB.

3) Would flex concerns be fixed with a) reinforced cap or b) bed reinforcement

4) Plan was to drop the tail gate, use the amp research bed extender, sew a nylon cap extender to make a little tent for feet. Will the amp research bed extender fold out with a snugtop? This will be pointless if I do a bolt in bed reinforcement since the extender wont fit.

Reaction score
I have had a Snugtop Rebel with the reinforced roof and windoors for a couple of months now on my Gen2 2019 Raptor. I bought the truck new in February. Been on some moderate trails with no issue. My off-roading though consists mostly of forest roads and some rocky terrain, so no jumping (ha). In the back I also have a decked system and will be adding an iKamper skycamp mini RTT soon (on its way). I do worry about the weight a little, but have had no issues so far loaded with kids, dogs, camping gear etc. I was contemplating +2 Deavers, but waiting to see how it rides with everything fully loaded. The Snugtop has been great, and I would recommend the Windoors for easy access to gear.

OP
OP
JAndreF321

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a Snugtop Rebel with the reinforced roof and windoors for a couple of months now on my Gen2 2019 Raptor. I bought the truck new in February. Been on some moderate trails with no issue. My off-roading though consists mostly of forest roads and some rocky terrain, so no jumping (ha). In the back I also have a decked system and will be adding an iKamper skycamp mini RTT soon (on its way). I do worry about the weight a little, but have had no issues so far loaded with kids, dogs, camping gear etc. I was contemplating +2 Deavers, but waiting to see how it rides with everything fully loaded. The Snugtop has been great, and I would recommend the Windoors for easy access to gear.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting a short bed rack and throwing on a 23Zero RTT. I wanted to camp out of the back and realized it was a bad idea so just went the rack and RTT route. I have the decked also. Fully loaded with gear, wife, and 3 dogs the back end was sitting pretty low with obvious negative rake. I ended up ordering Icon Springs from OffroadAlliance and I'm going to install this weekend. Was a tough choice, for me, between add-a-leaf at local shop and doing full springs myself. In the end, I decided that DIYing full springs was better than paying for an add-a-leaf.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... Fully loaded with gear, wife, and 3 dogs the back end was sitting pretty low with obvious negative rake...

You're well over the load limit unless you've blown your rear springs out already. I loaded mine with 1000lb + 200lb for the driver and still had 0.5" positive rake on the stock springs. I weighed everything, so I know that number is accurate. I was still 200lb under the load limit, but it's hard to imagine negative rake with only another 200lb. I'd expect it to be level at worst. I was careful how I loaded it, with most of the weight in front of the rear axle and down as low as possible, just like I would load it for camping.

OP
OP
JAndreF321

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're well over the load limit unless you've blown your rear springs out already. I loaded mine with 1000lb + 200lb for the driver and still had 0.5" positive rake on the stock springs. I weighed everything, so I know that number is accurate. I was still 200lb under the load limit, but it's hard to imagine negative rake with only another 200lb. I'd expect it to be level at worst. I was careful how I loaded it, with most of the weight in front of the rear axle and down as low as possible, just like I would load it for camping.

Adding everything up I think I was around 1350lbs. Arch was taken out of the springs. Surprisingly, I jacked up the truck to install Timbren bumpstops and it leveled out the truck...still level now, not sure if the full drop and axle weight did something. I'm installing Icons today, hopefully it goes well.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Adding everything up I think I was around 1350lbs. Arch was taken out of the springs. Surprisingly, I jacked up the truck to install Timbren bumpstops and it leveled out the truck...still level now, not sure if the full drop and axle weight did something. I'm installing Icons today, hopefully it goes well.

Maybe friction. Did you drive it around before and after Timbrens?

Squatting is not just weight, it's also about where that weight sits. IIRC, you're running a decked system, a rack, and a RTT. That puts more of the weight farther back, over the rear axle. And any weight behind the rear axle actually transfers additional weight off the front axle and onto the rear, so it's entirely possible to overload the rear springs and still be within the maximum GVWR. The extreme example is putting 1200lb on the hitch ... front up, back way down.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to put Icons on mine. With the cap, tent, fridge, drawer system, and everything we carry, it wore the stock ones out pretty quickly. The truck has a mild rake now but I'm mostly used to it. I may get Eibach's up front or I get drop shackles for the rear (or I may just continue not caring)

OP
OP
JAndreF321

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe friction. Did you drive it around before and after Timbrens?

Squatting is not just weight, it's also about where that weight sits. IIRC, you're running a decked system, a rack, and a RTT. That puts more of the weight farther back, over the rear axle. And any weight behind the rear axle actually transfers additional weight off the front axle and onto the rear, so it's entirely possible to overload the rear springs and still be within the maximum GVWR. The extreme example is putting 1200lb on the hitch ... front up, back way down.

I'm not sure if they bound up after having all the weight in it. There was negative rake with all the gear and it stayed that way for a few weeks. When I jacked it up for installing the bump stops, the rake went neutral. It stayed that way driving it around for a week. I installed the Icons yesterday and it raised the bed 3.25" at the fenders. The old springs look perfectly fine off the truck so not sure if there is really damage.

I had to put Icons on mine. With the cap, tent, fridge, drawer system, and everything we carry, it wore the stock ones out pretty quickly. The truck has a mild rake now but I'm mostly used to it. I may get Eibach's up front or I get drop shackles for the rear (or I may just continue not caring)

After installing the Icons on option 2 the back is pretty tall. I still need to drive the first 50 miles and retorque everything. I'm sure they will settle a bit. I have Eibachs in the garage, not sure if I should pay to get them installed or pull them off myself and take them in to get the springs swapped.