Raptor Transmission Nightmare!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People here saying the 10 speed is garbage, what a joke. While some have issues, the vast majority of these transmissions have been great for a completely new design. This transmission is used in so many Ford and Chevy vehicles it is not funny. The internals are the same for both companies the only difference would be programming . There are ones that get built bad, bad mechanics etc. I would be pissed just like some here are if I had major issues with mine. Love my 17 raptor.

Last edited:

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen. I love my 2017 Raptor 802A package, 16k miles, and LOVE IT ! There's always lemons with every brand. It is disappointing that Raptors have issues. My 04 6.0 F250 had a lot of issues, but my '11 and '15 6.7 F350's were flawless.....

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
People hear saying the 10 speed is garbage, what a joke. While some have issues, the vast majority of these transmissions have been great for a completely new design. This transmission is used in so many Ford and Chevy vehicles it is not funny. The internal are the same for both comapines, the only difference would be programming . There are ones that get built bad, bad mechanics etc. I would be pissed just like some here are if I had major issues with mine. Love my 17 raptor.

What the hell is a comapine? A knocked out pine tree that can't here anything??

Ray Knight

Reaction score
People hear saying the 10 speed is garbage, what a joke. While some have issues, the vast majority of these transmissions have been great for a completely new design. This transmission is used in so many Ford and Chevy vehicles it is not funny. The internal are the same for both comapines, the only difference would be programming . There are ones that get built bad, bad mechanics etc. I would be pissed just like some here are if I had major issues with mine. Love my 17 raptor.

Man my 2017 Raptor was great. No issues. An occasional clunk into 3rd but it never caused an issue. 22k when i traded it in. No issues. The 2019 Raptor, 3 transmissions broke before the 1st oil change. Each time involved almost 2 weeks driving a rental car. Not a truck either. An Ecosport, an Edge, etc. Not a 74k vehicle! Mine actually shifted into 1st gear on the highway cruising at 70. Tires locked up! I feel very confident calling the 10spd a complete POS. When it works right its OK. Not great. But definitely in the right direction just not refined. BMW/ZF 8 speed is great and probably the best auto there is for comparison. But i really hope they sort out all these issues. My dealer has had a few in already with similar issues as mine. F150, Raptor, Expeditions, mustangs, etc. The GM versions are having tons of issues as well. I was going to get my wife an expedition but not after the issues i had with mine. 100% stock truck. No mods, no hard driving.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On April 29th I purchased my very first Ford Raptor, my dream truck and I traded my Toyota Tacoma which now I realize was a giant mistake. The Raptor is a 2017 with at the time 14,600 miles on it. My girlfriend and I decided to take some time and do a road trip from where we live In NY to California (I really wanted to go drive in the desert and Glamis) The trip was absolutely awesome until we got to Utah. The truck started shifting so hard it felt like we were getting rear ended. I pulled off the side of the highway and there was oil all down the underneath of the truck. I limped the truck to the nearest Ford Dealer (Cedar City Motor Company, UT) and they said the oil pan and trans pan were both leaking, and the seal needed to be replaced. So, we stayed 2 nights in Cedar City and actually got a 2019 Ranger for a rental and figured it would be fixed and we’d be on our way. 48 hours later we got the truck back and the tech reassured me that they had their best guy do everything and its better than factory (they did blame the factory for not tightening the pans enough). We drove to Vegas (171 miles) that day and stayed there for the night and figured we would drive the rest of the way to California the following day. The following day we got maybe 120 miles and the truck started shifting extremely bad again and as soon as it did it even my girlfriend said oh no were gonna be stranded. I pulled over and of course there was oil all down the underneath of the truck. We then limped the truck to Mojave Ford in Barstow California and told them what was up, they got us a shitbox rental and we were on our way. The truck sat in Barstow for 5 days due to Memorial Day they couldn’t order parts. When we picked the truck up the service tech said he had his transmission guy check everything over and its 100%. They claimed the first dealer overtightened and cracked the trans pan thus causing the leaking. He too promised me that its 100% good to go and if something happens, I can call him and tell him he’s a ********. We got in the truck and started driving back to NY and drove maybe 70 miles and the truck obviously started shifting like crap and leaking oil everywhere. This time we went to a dealer in Las Vegas (Gaudin Ford) and I had to practically corner the **** that was the service manager there to take the truck in. At this point I had opened a case with Ford Corporate to buy back the truck and told him it under warranty and I need to get home. I pulled my phone out and recorded the conversation I had with him because if I drove off I didn’t want the transmission locking up and ford claiming I was negligent. As I got in the truck to leave he did run out and say that he found the case and would take it that day. There the truck sat for a day and a half and when I went to pick it up, they claimed that the dealer before broke the seal when they were replacing it and overfilled the trans fluid that’s why it was leaking. So here is the 3rd dealer blaming the previous. From Vegas I stopped at 2 more dealers because the truck is shifting funny and they said that the oil underneath is residual, so I was able to get back to NY. The truck is now back in NY and has an appointment at Depaula Ford in Albany on Monday to check the transmission because there was oil in my driveway and I can’t imagine that being residual. Ive been trying to get my case moving for a buyback but my case worker Gretchen E. Merriweather is an absolute nightmare and has hung up on me and lied every interaction we have had. I’m supposed to hear back from her supervisor to get my case reassigned so we will see what happens. I really just wanted to share with everyone my experience dealing with Ford everyone blames each other and doesn’t seem to standby their own work. I’m extremely disappointed because I put 130,000 miles on my 2015 tacoma only doing oil changes every 10,000 miles and here is a truck that cost 3x more and I couldn’t even put 6k on it.

I had the exact same horrendous shifting and puking transmission fluid all over underneath the truck. This is on a 2017 Raptor as well.

I was leaking transmission fluid after the 'roll pin recall' repair and initially the dealership thought it was a bad transmission pan seal and a bad front seal between the transmission and transfer case, as both had been replaced by 2 separate dealerships with each blaming the previous for "over filling" or "not tightening/over tightening pan bolts".

I kept leaking transmission fluid in the area of the front seal. Come to find out it was leaking around the transmission case bolts where the transfer case bolts to the transmission, but would only happen when the transmission reached operating temperature which in turn was when the fluid would expand and then leak.

Basically, I needed a new transmission case but they haven't been built for parts yet so they had to replace the entire transmission.

Good luck. Mine was in the shop for 40 days.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the total sales of this transmission in both ford and gm , the people having a major issue is small. Large companies look at percentages, does not make it any better for people who issues though. I would be just as mad, if I was having the issues some say they have here. Also, corrected my spelling issue in my previous post. You guys are harsh,Lol.

Last edited:

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is the problem with big American manufacturers. They play the numbers. They determine an acceptable amount of failures and let the Dealers fix it via Warranty. But this ****** off the Dealers especially when they get paid less per hour for warranty work and cannot get parts. This all leaves us, the buyer holding the bag. Ford figures some collateral damage is acceptable.