Raptor transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
My transmission is absolutely driving me NUTS! I am ready to trade or sell this truck because of the transmission. I now have 32,000 miles on this beast in about 8 months. They have reflashed and reprogrammed the system 2 times. I drive it off the lot today and it continues with same hard shifting 1-2-3 @ low RMP upshifting and dowshifting. I dont feel that i should have to have an aftermarket tuning to attempt to fix the issues. Does anyone know if FORD is going to address this issue? It shifted so hard shifting from 2-3 it spun both back tires and felt like transmission dropped on highway. There is a serious issue. The more miles i put on the worse it gets. HELP!!!

Hey man welcome. That certainly sounds like something else than just the software issues many have experienced. I have the 5.4 which supposedly has the worst shift strategies and mine has never done anything like you're describing. Try a new dealer...

Clarkm8

Reaction score
That is my next plan. I printed off all the advice from this site on things that need reflashed and hand delivered today. The tech makes it sound like FORD is not providing him much support because there are NO Coded issues.He said he flashed pcm and tcm. He admitted to me that its NOT right with his service manager present. They asked me to leave it again. Obviously I am frustrated. When I ordered the 6.2 it took 6 full months. Its not my first rodeo with a new vehicle. i change them like women about every 2 years. I have just never had a vehicle with shifting issues. Its just uncomfortable and frustrating to drive @ low speeds.

Clarkm8

Reaction score
Transmission / DEMAND a fix!

Going on 7 day @ dealership and issue NOT fixed. Apparently they dont have a transmission issue? But yet they dont have parts to fix them. Ford is telling me parts needed to attempt to fix are on back order. Throw up a red FLAG that there may be bigger issues with there hard shifting. I have been raising hell for days and I have been told a new transmission could be on the way. Quote of the WEEK! ford tech " Everyone knows FORD is having shifting issues dont be concerned the dealership is doing YOU a FAVOR because they are working on it without a definitive fix!" IF you would buy an extended warranty WE "Ford could reimbursh you for a rental car. HORSHIT! ******** gave me a 2002 filthy mercury that has the stench and filth and cigarettes. I sell medical devices, wear a suit and tie everyday. I put almost 1000 miles a week. When you pay almost $50,000 a vehicle they should be rollling out the red carpet to help. If I gave 1/2 the ****** CS i have received i would be out of a job.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Understand your pain, Clark. These kind of personal experiences are what drove me away from the domestics back in the 80's. And I would bitch-slap that tech into next Tuesday. Are you sure that wasn't a customer service rep?

Unfortunately for you, I think you have an isolated case with your tranny and a ******** dealership on top of things- the former based on everything I've been reading about Ford these days.

Hope they figger it out soon!

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Unfortunately for you, I think you have an isolated case with your tranny and a ******** dealership on top of things- the former based on everything I've been reading about Ford these days.

Hope they figger it out soon!

Agree on the isolated incident, there's been issues spoken of that have people wondering about a firm shift but, yours sounds much more severe. Plus, if this issue is causing you're back tires to spin when it shifts, there's something else going on here that we may be missing. Are you sure it was the tech who told you these things? I've been a Ford tech and it's not all that common that we're the ones who talk to the customer, that's what the service manager and service writer are there for.

Last edited:

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your harsh shift conocerns with your transmission. It does sound like the dealership doesn't want to address the problem any further then a recal and resetting your transmission adaptive strategy. I'm assuming that your don't have any MIL or Tow/Haul light flashing since you didn't mention it above. First thing that should be done is check the fluid level using the dipstick supplied on the passenger side. Its located by the RH catalyst front corner of trans. Its a pain in the ass to remove and check the fluid level. Excessive line pressure can cause harsh shift concerns. Usually if a solenoid fails electrically they will turn on MIL(malfunction indicator lamp) the EPC solenoid controls your line pressure An open circuit will cause a max line pressure and harsh shifting. Although I don't think that is your concern. Just by taking a shot in the dark it almost sounds like you have a sticking main regulator valve in your mechatronix assembly or valve body. Its very easy for dealerships to deny some of these 6R80 trans have an actual problem since there are at least three tsb's out just on reprogramming the pcm,tcm. I would take it to another dealership and get a second oppinion from the one you have been taking it too. Right now ford dealerships only need one technician in the shop to be automatic transmission compitant for anyone including a lube tech to do warranty work. Sounds reassuring right? When you bring it it I would just request you want the main trans guy t o diagnoise your problem. I do hope you get it fixed soon thought good luck!

Jimbola23

Reaction score
Update

Guys the problem isn't with the transmission, the problem is with the driveshaft. I just talked to the service tech at apple ford in maryland and there is a recall (as of yesterday June 14 2011). I am taking my truck next week to get fixed. I have had the same problem as some of you. A clunk at start and stop. Hopefully this will fix the problem and I will give an update. To the rest of you I would call your dealership and tell them to look for a recall as of yesterday... GOOD LUCK! :peace: