Raptor to Shelby back to Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well - its official...I am back in another Raptor this time next week.

I started off with a 2017 Raptor (Black/Black) - I added 20 inch fuel wheels, retrax, rigid lights, AFE intake, 5Star programming, and a few other goodies.

I was going to lift it and put 37’s on it but I had 33K miles on it and I did not want to spend anymore money on the same truck. I started looking for a 2019 and fell for 2018 Ford Shelby F150 instead.

Basically I stole it for the price I got it for and they gave me a solid trade number so I did it. I drove down to South FL to get it and within 20 minutes another guy who happened to be looking for a Raptor - saw mine and bought it on the spot.

Well we drove the new truck home and we hated it. It was not comfortable on the road, it was loud and droned, it kept going back and forth with 8th and 9th gear and frankly it was over the top.

The truck got a ton of attention though - and people were literally taking photos of it while I was driving it. I had it for 4 weeks and a lot of times I felt like a celebrity but it did not feel like it was for me. It is crazy fast in a straight line it felt it could take most cars on the road. By the way - the supercharger whistle is whistling the whole time and can drive a person insane.

So I called around and found a Black Raptor for msrp and jumped on it. I already bought some new wheels, a new retrax cover and bed rug, and will go with MPT tune for something different. I also got the new raptor recaros so it would feel a little different inside.

It’s really hard to beat a Raptor and anyone on the fence of trying something different I would try and talk you out of it as I should have just kept my 2017 and got a used gt350 if I wanted a Shelby.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh man.......im eyeballing the 2019 gt350r...i want to hand in my 2018 raptor keys for it......i have a feeling i will be lost without my truck though.

BajaLaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoulda got the best of both worlds! Lol I scored my Shelby Raptor for invoice on the package and msrp on the truck to me it was a great deal back in July. About 15k off total.

OP
OP
Wizo

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a great deal also. I picked mine up for the dealer owned it for on the lot. They couldn’t sell it apparently so they were willing to let it go.

The problem I found was when you resell it. People were just giving me Lariat money and trying to ignore there were only 500 made a year. It was a limited truck and you couldn’t put all those add ons for what I got the truck for.

Mcdonaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 raptors 2014, 2017, and now 2018 Leadfoot Shelby. I had a 2019 on order but cancelled it. Love the Shelby no complaints at all. My 2017 had about 35k in upgrades. Bent the frame got rid of it didn’t want to go thru the hassle of building it all over again which is why I went Shelby picked it up for $107k and got $56k on my trade in. Very happy with it does get a ton of looks don’t really hear the whine of the supercharger. Quite frankly it feels as fast as my 2017. But I had it loaded up so prolly why I don’t feel the difference as much. e79a590fd1dc7b90edef3cd28c59195d.jpg

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had 3 raptors 2014, 2017, and now 2018 Leadfoot Shelby. I had a 2019 on order but cancelled it. Love the Shelby no complaints at all. My 2017 had about 35k in upgrades. Bent the frame got rid of it didn’t want to go thru the hassle of building it all over again which is why I went Shelby picked it up for $107k and got $56k on my trade in. Very happy with it does get a ton of looks don’t really hear the whine of the supercharger. Quite frankly it feels as fast as my 2017. But I had it loaded up so prolly why I don’t feel the difference as much. e79a590fd1dc7b90edef3cd28c59195d.jpg

Am I missing something? Supercharger whine on a Shelby Raptor? I thought it was the 3.5 Ecoboost pumped up to 525hp.

Mcdonaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Supercharger whine on a Shelby Raptor? I thought it was the 3.5 Ecoboost pumped up to 525hp.

That’s all it is your spot on our verbiage probably isn’t the best he is prolly talking about turbos but I don’t hear them all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mamula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoulda got the best of both worlds! Lol I scored my Shelby Raptor for invoice on the package and msrp on the truck to me it was a great deal back in July. About 15k off total.
I didn't know folks drove trucks in MA. Is the shellbby raptor better than stock in terms of performance?