Raptor Spindle Gussets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M1919A2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on having them Cryo'd? To-wit: Extreme low temperature treatment.

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

First: I don't have any idea what the stock spindles are (material/ heat treat). Without knowing that, it's hard to say what will help or not. If someone could send a piece of a spindle to either me or Donk, we could probably tell you.

Second: 'Cryo' comes in two different forms really. Standard cold treatment of about -120F is an industry standard process for fully transforming hardened steels. You probably have heard of hardening by quenching, the cold treatment just makes sure this happens fully and effectively. The other form is a real cryo treatment, around -340F. This is a bit more of a complicated question. I personally haven't seen any benefit of this sort of treatment but you'll see all kinds of claims if you research it. I personally doubt it is anywhere near what it's billed as but I don't have much experience with it.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score

The other form is a real cryo treatment, around -340F. This is a bit more of a complicated question. I personally haven't seen any benefit of this sort of treatment but you'll see all kinds of claims if you research it. I personally doubt it is anywhere near what it's billed as but I don't have much experience with it.

You don't hear of it in aerospace, where material properties are VERY important, which reinforces Aidan's point.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cryo (-340°F) only really applies to high alloy / high carbon steels. We use it a bit on fuel system components for dimensional stability. Along with a few other big components.

Other than a few specialized applications its marketing BS.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cryo (-340°F) only really applies to high alloy / high carbon steels. We use it a bit on fuel system components for dimensional stability. Along with a few other big components.

Other than a few specialized applications its marketing BS.

So my cryo treated rotors are just regular rotors with a fancy name? Say it is not so... /scarcaism

-Greg

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my cryo treated rotors are just regular rotors with a fancy name? Say it is not so... /scarcaism

-Greg

No, you smart ass

There might actually be something to the rotors, maybe? The iron or steel used for rotors (high carbon / high alloy) could benefit from the thermal stability provided by Cryo. More stable structure means less distortion after repeated thermal cycling. Harder to warp your rotors.

Good catch Greg.

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't hear of it in aerospace, where material properties are VERY important, which reinforces Aidan's point.

Yea, pretty much everything we do at work is aerospace stuff and we still never use real cryo. Like I said, there are a lot of claims on it about stuff like super fine eta-carbides helping with fatigue life. We don't use any of it making bearings that are supposed to last as long as possible so I don't put any stock by it.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

No, you smart ass

There might actually be something to the rotors, maybe? The iron or steel used for rotors (high carbon / high alloy) could benefit from the thermal stability provided by Cryo. More stable structure means less distortion after repeated thermal cycling. Harder to warp your rotors.

Good catch Greg.

I think this is both true and false. The thermal stability comes from making sure all retained austenite is transformed. That way you don't transform any austenite in service (under braking) and warp the rotors.

You get that full transformation from the -120F cold treatment though so I'm not sure that actually going down to cryo temps is helpful.

People make money on it though so I won't say it's useless.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cryogenic treatment of metal is the ultimate in tress reliving.
The more heat you remove from the subject the better; if you could get to no heat at all it would remove all stress down to the atomic level.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cryogenic treatment of metal is the ultimate in tress reliving.
The more heat you remove from the subject the better; if you could get to no heat at all it would remove all stress down to the atomic level.

No heat, absolute zero? Then all the electrons, neutrons, and protons would have no movement and no stress at all.

-Greg