Raptor rock crawl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mojoraptor

Reaction score
First time posting out here on this forum. I’ve got a 2019 Gen2 stock raptor and planning on going on a rock crawl this coming weekend in Big Bear, Ca on the Golden Mountain Trail. I am in process of making some heavy gauge steel rock gliders that I was going to attach to the body mounts just for the simplicity of mounting and had assumed this is a good solid mount. Anyone got advise via tire pressure during and then is it ok to run the low pressure to the nearest gas station to inflate?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, post a pic of your Raptor so we know that youre not going rock crawling with your Prius. I would air down to 20 psi , that is fine to drive a short distance. You'll need a spotter for rock crawling as well. A simple 12v air compressor will suffice to get you to 30 psi a lot easier than driving on really low air pressure, just saying. Post pics of your adventure.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new Raptor. You’re heading to a beautiful area to Raptor around. I haven’t been there in about 15 yrs and the last time was in the Jeep.
That being said, I wouldn’t waist your time adding anything to your Raptor unless you have the cash to burn or just feel like doing it. I’ve done basketball size boulders in both my Gen1’s and my 2019 and they were and are all stock. The truck is incredibly capable out of the wrapper. The only thing I’m wanting to add to mine is Differential Rock sliders, that will allow you to slide over a rock if you pick the wrong line and strike the diff.
I am sure Trail conditions have changed since I was up there but I recall a few challenging break-over angles. Get some Maxtrax and you can fix that problem. Don’t get the cheap imitations, they will snap in half.
If the Trail has room hit the sharp dips at an angle rather than straight in and out, especially if you have a SCREW. I’m not sure of your experience but the other two keys to a hassle/damage free day are picking a good line and placing your tires to go On/ Over the big rocks. You may scrape your running board but won’t damage anything underneath. I carry a measuring tape and when in doubt I’ll get out and measure something I have my doubts ab getting over.
Lastly, easy on the gas/ brake to keep from bouncing. Bouncing is a quick way to damage. If you have the TRAIL-CONTROL, Use It, it’s amazing, takes a lot of the skill of off-roading out of the equation, all you’re left to do is “Pick A Line”
Hope this helps a little. Post some pictures of your adventures.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on your truck's setup or your experience, so take this with a grain of salt. I've done Gold Mtn a few times in a well-set up tacoma with better approach/departure angles than the raptor, underbelly skids and frame-mounted rock sliders, I HIGHLY recommend you do not try to run the trail in a raptor for multiple reasons, unless you really arent worried about scratches and damage. There are plenty of tight S-turns with lots of fairly dense trees/brush on the sides to give you some nice scratches, and then there are a few ledges and rock gardens I'd be hesitant to take this big girl through, and I love rock crawling. It's also a popular trail, so there's a good chance you'll see lots of traffic, both ways, making for some tight squeezes to let people through or lots of backing up. I'm sure with enough rock stacking and care taken with a good spotter, you could get most if not all the way through it, but expect to **** off a lot of jeepers and more well-setup vehicles for rock crawling who are waiting on you. Lots of other roads to explore up there I'd rather do than this one unfortunately.

Also, if you're planning to truly use your sliders to rest any amount of the vehicle on, always go frame mounted.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Not sure on your truck's setup or your experience, so take this with a grain of salt. I've done Gold Mtn a few times in a well-set up tacoma with better approach/departure angles than the raptor, underbelly skids and frame-mounted rock sliders, I HIGHLY recommend you do not try to run the trail in a raptor for multiple reasons, unless you really arent worried about scratches and damage. There are plenty of tight S-turns with lots of fairly dense trees/brush on the sides to give you some nice scratches, and then there are a few ledges and rock gardens I'd be hesitant to take this big girl through, and I love rock crawling. It's also a popular trail, so there's a good chance you'll see lots of traffic, both ways, making for some tight squeezes to let people through or lots of backing up. I'm sure with enough rock stacking and care taken with a good spotter, you could get most if not all the way through it, but expect to **** off a lot of jeepers and more well-setup vehicles for rock crawling who are waiting on you. Lots of other roads to explore up there I'd rather do than this one unfortunately.

Also, if you're planning to truly use your sliders to rest any amount of the vehicle on, always go frame mounted.
Sounds like you have been up there more recently than 25 yrs ago, lol thanks for giving him some current info. Lines on the trail like the ladder on Everest :( errr the MFing internet.
Have you been able to find any diff sliders for your Raptor?

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been there, but I will follow Christyle advices , or you will destroy some parts on your trucks, no doubt, Imossible to " real rock crawl",with a stock raptor, to do it , you need lift , change front and rear bumber , I guess, the rear exaust pipe also... and other things as rock slider...

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have been up there more recently than 25 yrs ago, lol thanks for giving him some current info. Lines on the trail like the ladder on Everest :( errr the MFing internet.
Have you been able to find any diff sliders for your Raptor?
I've set the steps down on rocks a few times, but not really put a lot of weight on them. A buddy has, and snapped it in half. I like the steps and haven't wanted to take my truck into places where I needed sliders, so I haven't really looked into it before.

Here are a few pics from 2 trips through with my old truck. They didnt really capture the spots i'm thinking of, but they show one of the popular play areas on the eastern/southern side entrance off the main road. I believe there were a good bit of spots that had some pretty tight width issues, and that's what would be toughest, snaking these big girls through some trees with rock drops and other issues. You could probably head up and see how far you feel comfortable making it, but just be careful to have a turn-around spot if needed. The ridge road that goes from the dump across to the fawnskin area can be a lot of fun.

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20180707135841382_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20180707135841382_COVER.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1535.JPG
    DSC_1535.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1726.JPG
    DSC_1726.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20180707_134137.jpg
    IMG_20180707_134137.jpg