Raptor R - Will you be buying this beast.

Raptor R in 2022, are you in?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 80 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 122 60.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was one of those that bought a first year svt raptor back in 2010. It was a awesome truck. I also bought the 2017 first year gen 2 and again no problems at all. I'm a firm believer in regular maintenance and not beating the livin crap out of my vehicles, but when the time comes for it to preform I want it to work as intended. its worked well for me over the years

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your theory is sound and viable, but I and many others who bought a 2010 raptor got lucky I guess or Ford (SVT) overbuilt the first year, because it has been a champ. Paying over retail is a definite no no, never understood why people will pay an extra $20k in California when you could fly for under a grand and pick one up just about anywhere else in the USA.

more than likely....I think THAT theory would be sound- in that the first iteration of the gen1 raptor was “babied” from an R&D standpoint a bit to make sure they lived up to the hype, that being said- gen2s don’t break frames b/c they learned from the gen1 & gen2 2018.5+ gen2s don’t leak oil b/c they learned from the earlier composite pans etc etc

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
more than likely....I think THAT theory would be sound- in that the first iteration of the gen1 raptor was “babied” from an R&D standpoint a bit to make sure they lived up to the hype, that being said- gen2s don’t break frames b/c they learned from the gen1 & gen2 2018.5+ gen2s don’t leak oil b/c they learned from the earlier composite pans etc etc
The oil pans are f150 related, not Raptor specific, just like cam phasers. The iwe's and heated seats are still a weak point on some f150's too. The frame on the early gen 1's definitely caught Ford off guard, they never thought customers were going to offroad them as hard as they did, now that they beefed up the frames, less and less percentage of owners are even going offroad. By the time the Gen 3 comes out, Ford should have all the driveline and cosmetics figured out with the regular f150 being on the road for nearly a year. It appears the gen 3 is using the same driveline as the gen 2, with some upgrades, so I'm not anticipating and newer problems with that, but who knows where they pushed the limits with power, etc. This isn't a new model, it's an improved, upgraded model, in my eyes anyway. If I was in the market for a gen 3, it wouldn't bother me to buy one.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
people can’t help themselves...are you really trying to pay devils advocate here lol? I wouldn’t recommend buying the 1st or 2nd model year of a new design...& I certainly wouldn’t recommend doing that AND paying ADM lol.....but people will do it!!!!

just don’t be one of those people & you’ll be better off for it from a financial/reliability/headache standpoint imho

of course - the vast majority of these new trucks will most likely be trouble free, but the chances of having issues much more likely in the first year or 2

Another good reason to wait it out a year or 2 especially on a niche vehicle like the Raptor is to give some time for the aftermarket to step up - see what owners reviews are on the various mods etc vs just jumping on whatever’s available etc

I buy my vehicles when they have been out 3-4 years. Why the hell would I want people to not buy the first year model? Someone needs to work out the kinks for me right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it and pay attention to the signs the more I am realizing that the R in Raptor R stands for R. It will not the the very best off road truck you can buy but rather a reincarnated Ford Lightning with a lift . It is trying to complete with the TRX in a HP war and we have all seen that the TRX is not built for Baja off roading like the Raptor is.

Maybe this is what ppl have been wanting but when I first heard Raptor R I thought it was gonna be the an even more capable off roader but I think my perception of where this segment is heading is not accurate.

George Pepper

Reaction score
I have zero interest in this truck. As far as I'm concerned, Ford killed the Raptor, because a Real Raptor is a two-door SuperCab, not four-door SuperCrew.

I call SuperCrew Raptors "Dad Raptors" because that's what they are. Here's a real Raptor, in case you've never seen one, or have forgotten what one looks like.
IMG_0515.jpg
Shame in the bean counters at Ford. I will never sell this truck. And yes, I watched the Deep Dive video. That engineer is a punk. Of course the new Dad Raptor will outperform my Real Raptor, it has a game changing five link coil-over rear suspension. But a shorter wheelbase always means more off road capability, period. I would have already ordered a new one if they still made the SuperCab. Now I may never buy another Ford product, because I'm so angry. My previous truck was a RAM, and my future truck may now be a RAM too.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That engineer was definitely lying threw his teeth, his body language gave it away. Im sure he wanted to say the real reason but didn't wanna face the repercussions. I get why Ford is doing what they are doing but the dimensions of the Screw just look wrong when put next to a Scab. The Scab also gave Ford an edge over their competition and offered more to those who wanted to get serious about going off road. A 4 door Lightning would have been more practical but would have looked ridiculous.

As a 2020 Scab owner Im sad to see it go but in the long run I think they will have a cult following and hold their value as they move from daily driver to collector status. In the last couple of year the 2 door Srt 10 Ram has skyrocketed in value over the 4 door despite its interior size.

JP4_4489.jpg

Last edited:

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I call SuperCrew Raptors "Dad Raptors" because that's what they are. Here's a real Raptor, in case you've never seen one, or have forgotten what one looks like.

As far as I'm concerned, Ford killed the Raptor, because a Real Raptor is a V8, not some V6 vacuum cleaner. I call V6 Raptors "Dad Raptors" because that's what they are. Of course the new Dad Raptor will outperform my Real Raptor, it has a game changing twin turbo V6 engine and weighs hundreds of pounds less. I would have already ordered a new one if they still made the V8.

See how silly that sounds? I have a SCAB too, but 95+% of Raptors are Supercrews (yes it really is that high). Every Raptor at Raptor Assault was a Supercrew. No need to hate on them.

Cthulhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, Ford killed the Raptor, because a Real Raptor is a V8, not some V6 vacuum cleaner. I call V6 Raptors "Dad Raptors" because that's what they are. Of course the new Dad Raptor will outperform my Real Raptor, it has a game changing twin turbo V6 engine and weighs hundreds of pounds less. I would have already ordered a new one if they still made the V8.

See how silly that sounds? I have a SCAB too, but 95+% of Raptors are Supercrews (yes it really is that high). Every Raptor at Raptor Assault was a Supercrew. No need to hate on them.
Agree. I'm also a Gen2 SCAB owner.

George Pepper

Reaction score

Here's why you are wrong. As the RAM TRX owners are finding out, the nose is heavy and starts bashing the ground over whoops. All that great V8 sound and fury, and they can't keep up with me over whoops. It's actually funny. I LOVE the EcoBoost twin-turbo V6! The nose of my truck is light, and my springs are softer than the Dad Raptor's springs. And I can slaughter a Gen 1 Raptor. I take the lead at the beginning, increase my lead every minute, and never look back. Finally, it is the motor that propelled the Ford GT to a win in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It's first race!

I would not get a V8 Raptor, even if Gen 3 came with a SuperCab. I evaluate everything by actually taking my Real Raptor off road.

People stuck on V8's need to shed their prejudices. My truck will leave a Gen 2 Dad Raptor for double indemnity dead because the springs are softer and the shocks are set up differently.

Example 2, a Real Raptor in Pike National Forest, two miles from my Colorado place.
IMG_0646.jpg