Raptor R vs TRX Drag Race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I learned researching the crap outta the 3.5 HO before buying my first new Ford & first Ecoboost vehicle- my previous 2018 Raptor, the HO has unique pistons (unsure if forged like other internals), a forged crank/connecting rods, different intake manifold design, has same sized turbos as standard 3.5 but they have upgraded/stronger internals as well I believe the turbine wheel etc in order to handle more heat/revs.

It’s about as unique/specific a design to a vehicle as you’re gonna get these days (aside from GMs C8 Z06 engine lol) & the fact that it shares implementation & design elements w/ Fords pinnacle vehicle the GT along w/ their 2nd fav the F150 Raptor makes me sleep well at night b/c I know there was definitely extra effort thrown at this engine compared to the run of the mill EB engines, BUT the fact that the “regular” EB 2.7/3.0/3.5 variants are also used heavily in fleet vehicles & emergency responder vehicles also adds legitimacy to the reliability claims as those vehicles also see very harsh use- not in the Baja or on a racetrack, but idling for 1000 hrs w/ all the accessories running while directing stadium traffic…for instance

Don’t see where you’re coming from at all, if you’re trying to argue more effort, more R&D, & more concern went into the 6.2 from the Gen1 vs the 3.5HO in the gen2/gen3 you’re just simply flat wrong. For starters….there’s that direct connection w/ the GT…does that need explanation? Second, the 3.5 got upgraded in fueling & piling in 2nd iteration & all that + the beefed up internals makes it easy to jack up the power reliably w/ a tune. The 6.2? I mean they basically sent it out to pasture shortly thereafter….what am
I missing?
I was just looking for additional detail on what made it special. Everyone’s arguing about factual evidence and that’s what I was hoping to find. I Googled a bunch trying to find details you’re referencing but couldn’t find it.

I like both motors and just spent a few days in a g2 in Baja. The 3.5 did plenty fine on 37s even. It just could sound better which I think everyone agrees.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was just looking for additional detail on what made it special. Everyone’s arguing about factual evidence and that’s what I was hoping to find. I Googled a bunch trying to find details you’re referencing but couldn’t find it.

I like both motors and just spent a few days in a g2 in Baja. The 3.5 did plenty fine on 37s even. It just could sound better which I think everyone agrees.
I don’t mind the sound b/c it’s my DD & I already have a crazy built vette w/ a V8 to scratch that itch. Here’s an article discussing some of the similarities between the 3.5 HO in the Raptor vs the GT, again, aside from the details you def get the impression ALOT of effort/thought went into developing this engine. I mean…so many of em are going strong running tunes adding 50-100whp for 5 years now

Screenshot specifically mentioning the crankshaft & link to the article from Robb Report

Attachments

• A756D24F-C32D-4B3E-ADBB-6EAF33D954F4.jpeg
    A756D24F-C32D-4B3E-ADBB-6EAF33D954F4.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 7

Cocles

Reaction score
“Savage geese” is a moron. He’s just another wanna be “automotive journalist” collecting views through clickbait.

And by the way, Ford Performance is Ford Corporate.

No, they would have sold a lot less Raptors, period. Not everyone wants or needs a 700HP truck that costs $110,000. That alienates the large majority of buyers. The non-R Raptor is already fast, especially for a full size pickup. At it’s price and performance point it’s still in a class of 1, why would a company choose to mandate a $30k engine that gets 10MPG when the majority of buyers aren’t even looking for that?
I don't necessarily think SavageGeese is a moron, but I completely agree with everything else you said here. Saying I understand where the purists are coming from is not the same as agreeing it's the way to go, especially when I followed it up with flat out stating Ford would sell fewer Raptors that way. You need to calm down. You're shouting at people who have no bone to pick with you.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are the details in his statement on what makes it different? He had given information that, outside of pistons, only listed items external to the engine.

I guess you're the one that may need to go back to grade school.

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the Ecoboost was derived from the Duratec 35 which was in anything from Taurus to F150 just as the 6.2 came from the SD 6.2. So Ford designed the 3.5 HO by throwing parts bin options from a supercar motor and a base Taurus motor. Super exclusive.
I happen to have 3 of the different 3.5's one from Taurus and Gen 2 base F150 plus Raptor.
Name me a single part that is shared from the Taurus to the F150. Including the block, heads, crank, rods n pistons. Go ahead and name the parts that are different . .

I did a lot of comparing with side by side Gen2 eco's and there are a lot more items than may meet the eye.
As a matter of fact I ordered new Rods n pistons to really compare differences. They are still on shelf in back shop.
It was unreal how cheap they were to purchase.

I also bought a new (1 of 5) Raptor Crate engines sold by Ford Performance pulled the pan to see what all differences I could visibly see in comparison to the Non Raptor 3.5 crank rods pistons etc. Getting such a good look because I bought new from ford just to look. The nice steel crank was well under 100.00 at the time think the rods were like 8-10 each.

Oh yeah, I also have a prototype 3.5 that was donated to me by FoMoCo for a swap project. It has Ford GT Turbo's and a custom prototype PCM. It should put down 500hp to tire no problem. Make a nice tow truck.

Last edited:

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happen to have 3 of the different 3.5's one from Taurus and Gen 2 base F150 plus Raptor.
Name me a single part that is shared from the Taurus to the F150. Including the block, heads, crank, rods n pistons. Go ahead and name the parts that are different . .

I did a lot of comparing with side by side Gen2 eco's and there are a lot more items than may meet the eye.
As a matter of fact I ordered new Rods n pistons to really compare differences. They are still on shelf in back shop.
It was unreal how cheap they were to purchase.

I also bought a new (1 of 5) Raptor Crate engines sold by Ford Performance pulled the pan to see what all differences I could visibly see in comparison to the Non Raptor 3.5 crank rods pistons etc. Getting such a good look because I bought new from ford just to look. The nice steel crank was well under 100.00 at the time think the rods were like 8-10 each.

Oh yeah, I also have a prototype 3.5 that was donated to me by FoMoCo for a swap project. It has Ford GT Turbo's and a custom prototype PCM. It should put down 500hp to tire no problem. Make a nice tow truck.
I absolutely love your F100 build and seems like you have plenty of other projects to keep you busy ahha.

Glad to hear someone that has first hand experience with them to compare side by side. I don't know the details and was genuinely asking where the differences were as the internet seems to have little info. I shared what I found online.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But the Ecoboost was derived from the Duratec 35 which was in anything from Taurus to F150 just as the 6.2 came from the SD 6.2. So Ford designed the 3.5 HO by throwing parts bin options from a supercar motor and a base Taurus motor. Super exclusive.
The Second Generation 3.5 is unrelated to the Duratec or “D35”, Gen 1 3.5 was a derivative of that engine. It was an all new design in 2017. The Raptor shares approximately 60% of its parts with Ford GT. The rumor that it’s related to the old Duratec engines was started by some cavemen attempting to slander anything that isn’t a G1.