Raptor R vs TRX Drag Race

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.5HO shares forged crank/rotating assembly w/ the Ford GT 3.5, its the only version of that displacement EB engine that has those beefed up intervals. Also a different compression ratio.
That’s rad. I didn’t see that anywhere else about the crank/rotating assembly. I did see the lower compression from the different pistons though.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got curious so I’ve been looking at this more and everything I’ve found says the version of the 6.2 in the f150 lineup was originally made for the Raptor. It’s really only a cam and tune but only modified because the Raptor exists.

Also, this is like saying the Raptor 3.5 isn’t unique because it’s offered in the f150 lineup as the HO version and has only a few modifications compared to the basic 3.5.
If it was made for the Raptor it would have been the standard engine when the truck was first available. The 6.2 was developed for Super Duty as a replacement for the previous base engine, which was the 5.4 3V.

The 6.2 in F-150 had different cams than the Super Duty version. You could get the same exact 6.2 across the entire F-150 lineup from XL to Raptor. The Raptor 6.2 was not unique. The 3.5 HO was only available in Raptor; Limited had 2 year run but it’s now exclusive to Raptor again.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about the 3.5? Are there more differences than I mentioned? Outside of a tune too I guess.
The HO has a different compression ratio, pistons, turbochargers, calibration, charge air cooler, exhaust manifolds, catalytic converters, fuel pump, and exhaust system.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was made for the Raptor it would have been the standard engine when the truck was first available. The 6.2 was developed for Super Duty as a replacement for the previous base engine, which was the 5.4 3V.

The 6.2 in F-150 had different cams than the Super Duty version. You could get the same exact 6.2 across the entire F-150 lineup from XL to Raptor. The Raptor 6.2 was not unique. The 3.5 HO was only available in Raptor; Limited had 2 year run but it’s now exclusive to Raptor again.
But the Ecoboost was derived from the Duratec 35 which was in anything from Taurus to F150 just as the 6.2 came from the SD 6.2. So Ford designed the 3.5 HO by throwing parts bin options from a supercar motor and a base Taurus motor. Super exclusive.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HO has a different compression ratio, pistons, turbochargers, calibration, charge air cooler, exhaust manifolds, catalytic converters, fuel pump, and exhaust system.
Compression ratio was changed via the pistons. From what I am seeing, the turbochargers are the same size just different (lighter) material for the compressor wheel. I mentioned the exhaust manifolds and it would make sense the resulting cat, fuel pump, and exhaust system would be different because of the tune/calibration and packaging for the Raptor. So all things considered, we're not talking a completely different engine specific to the Raptor.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Compression ratio was changed via the pistons. From what I am seeing, the turbochargers are the same size just different (lighter) material for the compressor wheel. I mentioned the exhaust manifolds and it would make sense the resulting cat, fuel pump, and exhaust system would be different because of the tune/calibration and packaging for the Raptor. So all things considered, we're not talking a completely different engine specific to the Raptor.
Completely different engine, no. It’s a high performance derivative based on the second generation 3.5.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you share what makes the engine completely different? From the engine side itself, sounds like it is just different pistons.
From what I learned researching the crap outta the 3.5 HO before buying my first new Ford & first Ecoboost vehicle- my previous 2018 Raptor, the HO has unique pistons (unsure if forged like other internals), a forged crank/connecting rods, different intake manifold design, has same sized turbos as standard 3.5 but they have upgraded/stronger internals as well I believe the turbine wheel etc in order to handle more heat/revs.

It’s about as unique/specific a design to a vehicle as you’re gonna get these days (aside from GMs C8 Z06 engine lol) & the fact that it shares implementation & design elements w/ Fords pinnacle vehicle the GT along w/ their 2nd fav the F150 Raptor makes me sleep well at night b/c I know there was definitely extra effort thrown at this engine compared to the run of the mill EB engines, BUT the fact that the “regular” EB 2.7/3.0/3.5 variants are also used heavily in fleet vehicles & emergency responder vehicles also adds legitimacy to the reliability claims as those vehicles also see very harsh use- not in the Baja or on a racetrack, but idling for 1000 hrs w/ all the accessories running while directing stadium traffic…for instance

Don’t see where you’re coming from at all, if you’re trying to argue more effort, more R&D, & more concern went into the 6.2 from the Gen1 vs the 3.5HO in the gen2/gen3 you’re just simply flat wrong. For starters….there’s that direct connection w/ the GT…does that need explanation? Second, the 3.5 got upgraded in fueling & piling in 2nd iteration & all that + the beefed up internals makes it easy to jack up the power reliably w/ a tune. The 6.2? I mean they basically sent it out to pasture shortly thereafter….what am
I missing?