Raptor R Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
People used to say that to me until they found out I have both. The TRX is a fine machine. The R to me looks better, and slightly performs better with the added bonus of riding better.
The thing is if I had a new TRX and R sitting in front of me both available and both at MSRP I’d pick the R. But that isn’t even close to what’s happening out there and the R isn’t worth a $50k increase in price. The R is impossible to find and if you do it’s a huge markup and the TRX is gettable at a good chunk off MSRP and they are actually available. Those realities change the game for a lot of ppl looking at them IMO. They are both awesome and straight comparison they are regarded very closely and it gets into personal taste from there, but for price and availability they aren’t even on the same planet.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is if I had a new TRX and R sitting in front of me both available and both at MSRP I’d pick the R. But that isn’t even close to what’s happening out there and the R isn’t worth a $50k increase in price. The R is impossible to find and if you do it’s a huge markup and the TRX is gettable at a good chunk off MSRP and they are actually available. Those realities change the game for a lot of ppl looking at them IMO. They are both awesome and straight comparison they are regarded very closely and it gets into personal taste from there, but for price and availability they aren’t even on the same planet.

I totally agree I just mean from a, if you have the option to get both what I would pick. I did get my TRX at a considerable discount.

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully in a few years the car market come back to normal and if Ford keeps making the R maybe some of us can get into one. Right now I can justify paying such a high markup on the truck. My 22 can hold me over until things get better if not then I will start looing at the TRX. Have seen some major engine problems with some of the R out there on the FB pages. I guess that can be expected with a new first run power train.

RedRocks

Reaction score
I like the Raptor but I have never regretted purchasing my 2022 TRX. It's a fantastic truck that has run 100% problem free and offers very high performance with its supercharged V8. I decided early on in my truck search that the hassles and markups associated with the Raptor were not worth it to me when I had the TRX option.

bluesmurf

Reaction score
I was hoping that this raptor R would have a better build quality, but it still suffers from that. We still see the loose transmission lines, and now many issues seen with major engine oil leaks. These simply can't happen. This is a microcosm of the much larger problems that Ford has, and why Farley has one foot out the door at Ford. I can't see him employed by Ford much longer after his catastrophic lack of knowledge, and lack of answers to his stakeholders. Back on topic, I think the TRX is the better buy at this point.