Raptor r in desert video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How often does ANYBODY actually Use all the HP in there Raptors. To me anything over or around 500 HP to the wheels on a Unprepped road is asking for trip to the Hospital. Its Sketchy enough in my Sister's Stingray and thats around 485 in a car thats designed to Handle. A Truck????? Good luck
4A. Or in the case of the TRX, full time 4WD. These trucks will bark the rear tires in 2WD without even trying, never mind on full throttle!

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I'm to old, I know adding turbos to an engine is a bad thing but manufacturers keep doing it. We used to call it artificial horsepower. Super charging was great for horsepower for short distance. But there is no replacement for displacement. But being old I remember when going four wheeling had nothing to do with horsepower. Accept in sand drags. Four wheeling was all about torque. You never needed to go 100 mph on the Rubicon trail. No matter what manufacturers do they will not produce a trophy truck. Not gonna happen no way no how. Your going to get a trophy truck look in a pavement queen Dodge or Ford. I don't like the v6 motor cause I'm old. Pushing a motor that hard 24/7 is not good no matter what anyone tells you. I have a TRX but had a Raptor v8. Put a v8 in a Raptor and I'll buy it. Until then we should be glad we like trucks and look down on cars... Yall have a great day and pray for a v8.

Attachments

• 20220205_125333.jpg
    20220205_125333.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 7

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4A. Or in the case of the TRX, full time 4WD. These trucks will bark the rear tires in 2WD without even trying, never mind on full throttle!
Yep and I know. Even my Gen1 lays a CRAZY patch of tire, but trying to stop a 3 ton truck and then all of a sudden a turn in the road comes up on ya quickly.....well let's just say ya better of planned a head. I see a ton of inexperienced drivers in there muscle cars crashing Hard. Just haven't heard much about the truck guys. But it's just a matter of time

AnamnesisV

Reaction score
Don't you have some balls to hang on your rear bumper or something! I still can't figure out why Ken is talking about a Dodge, must of missed something in the last year or so with covid, did he jump ship and leave Ford behind? (seriously).
I believe his contract with Ford expired last year and his with Audi now. Ram probably sent him a truck to entice him.

cplreyes

Reaction score
Torque and throttle response is more important than high horse power, especially off road. If anyone is set on a SC, it should be a smaller one since it’ll make peak HP/TQ at lower rpms. Bigger SCs are good for long straight tracks or long stretch of highways. I just came off an RT with a small aftermarket SC with only 6psi and scat packs couldn’t keep up. Decent HP, good torque, not super heavy truck (like the TRX), and excellent suspension is the right combo for off roading at high speeds on unleveled terrain. However, market pressure (what most raptor buyers will actually purchase) will produce a sub par product. Case in point, ford stopped making the raptor extended cab even though it’s superior in off road situations. Sales were higher for the crew cab as only a small percentage actually use them as intended.

cplreyes

Reaction score
How often does ANYBODY actually Use all the HP in there Raptors. To me anything over or around 500 HP to the wheels on a Unprepped road is asking for trip to the Hospital. Its Sketchy enough in my Sister's Stingray and thats around 485 in a car thats designed to Handle. A Truck????? Good luck
Or, if someone is planning on mid travel+ suspension. But, yes, obviously, ford shouldn’t consider this when mass producing their trucks.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Case in point, ford stopped making the raptor extended cab even though it’s superior in off road situations. Sales were higher for the crew cab as only a small percentage actually use them as intended.
The SCREW gives you enough room to sleep inside the cab, stuff extra spare tires, tools, & shiny parts safely inside, or carry an injured rider lying down. All of those I've had to do in the desert during an offroad race. I doubt having the shorter cab ever saved anybodies' life. True Story: during a Peninsula Run around 2004-5 I was working at a road crossing near San Ignacio, about halfway to La Paz. A local shows up driving a beater pickup with one headlight and a Japanese Moto rider in the bed. He left the rider with me, and shook his head when I asked "where's the bike, amigo?" The rider was in a lot of pain and we couldn't communicate. I left the roadcrossing and drove the 45mi into San Ignacio with him in an extracab tacoma. Eventually found medical help and got him into their ambulance. Found out later he had multiple collarbone fractures, internal bleeding, and a concussion.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The SCREW gives you enough room to sleep inside the cab, stuff extra spare tires, tools, & shiny parts safely inside, or carry an injured rider lying down. All of those I've had to do in the desert during an offroad race. I doubt having the shorter cab ever saved anybodies' life.
Odd perspective on extended cab versus crew cab. Not judging here, but I find it inconceivable that the Ford engineers had life saving in mind when they decided to give the Raptor 4 full size doors, let alone, lets give room for a spare tire behind the driver of an offroad truck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I'm to old, I know adding turbos to an engine is a bad thing but manufacturers keep doing it. We used to call it artificial horsepower. Super charging was great for horsepower for short distance. But there is no replacement for displacement. But being old I remember when going four wheeling had nothing to do with horsepower. Accept in sand drags. Four wheeling was all about torque. You never needed to go 100 mph on the Rubicon trail. No matter what manufacturers do they will not produce a trophy truck. Not gonna happen no way no how. Your going to get a trophy truck look in a pavement queen Dodge or Ford. I don't like the v6 motor cause I'm old. Pushing a motor that hard 24/7 is not good no matter what anyone tells you. I have a TRX but had a Raptor v8. Put a v8 in a Raptor and I'll buy it. Until then we should be glad we like trucks and look down on cars... Yall have a great day and pray for a v8.
In an OEM application, turbos are not just “added”. Same with superchargers. The entire engine is designed from the beginning for forced induction; it’s a complete package, not an afterthought. Therefore they are not “bad” (wtf) or less durable than any other engine.