Raptor R Allocation Deposit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2022 Ruth

Reaction score
If its worth it to you, go for it. You cant blame dealers for marking up vehicles. Its capitalism. If you are willing to buy it at 30 over sticker, thats great. You win, dealer wins, economy wins. No one is owed a raptor at MSRP.

Although I wouldnt give any money for something that I don’t think officially exists yet.

Good luck. I do agree the raptor as it sits now, with 510 foot lbs of TQ is more than enough. Supercharged V8 would be cool, sure, but at this point its just a pissing match with Fiat, Dodge… Ram. Whatever its called anymore.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope that there will be a few lucky folks. But I expect darned few without a personal connection to a dealership, and zero would not surprise me one bit. The more Ford builds, the more likely that someone will get lucky. Then they will have to resist the opportunity to make a quick $30-50k.... :shakehead:

I'm just guessing, but if the R is supposed to be a response to the TRX, does it meet it's purpose if only the few elite/lucky can obtain one? Maybe it does in some people's mind. I'm just thinking that if Ford is losing Raptor sales to the TRX as has been the claim, those customers who want a V8 will still get a TRX if they can't get an R.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but if the R is supposed to be a response to the TRX, does it meet it's purpose if only the few elite/lucky can obtain one?

I think so. This is a fight between paper tigers. Look at how the TRX was designed. It wasn't designed for any real purpose other than to be "bigger" than the Raptor in every possible way. An inch or so longer, wider, and taller. 100 pounds more payload and towing capacity. A monster motor. Anywhere something was specified, FCA tried to "beat" it. If it was cheap and easy. Matching, much less exceeding the performance of the transfer case would have been expensive, so they blew it off. And yes, the TRX rear suspension is much better than gen 2. But ... it was basically free since RAM has coil springs in the back already. At least it got Ford off their butt to lose the leaf springs.

Maybe it does in some people's mind. I'm just thinking that if Ford is losing Raptor sales to the TRX as has been the claim, those customers who want a V8 will still get a TRX if they can't get an R.

That ship has sailed. People who really want one last fling with a blown V8 will buy the TRX. I'll bet most have probably already bought a TRX. By the time the R is released, the economy is likely to be slowing with interest rates rising. Gas prices are likely to be high. If Ford is planning to sell them by the thousands, I think they will be disappointed. It may also be a mistake to sell them by the thousands. Doing the project right takes money and there will still be plenty of things breaking in the first generation. Ford has shown a willingness to cut corners, the rear leaf springs are exhibit A. The "stock" gen 2 that ran Baja had a full leaf pack but the production trucks had crap. Pulling moves like that on a 700hp trophy truck that people are going to hoon hard if they're affordable and available? Wreckage. Public wreckage. Much better to have a truck so exclusive that most buyers keep them pristine in climate-controlled garages.

I will point out that my opinion is worth every penny I'm being paid. :) But given recent history, I think I've got at least as good a shot of being right as the Ford marketing department. Which is sad. I'd give better than even odds that Ford is being played. FCA threw together something in a big hurry when the market looked right. Yes, they'd been messing with ideas, but the time from green light to shipment was very short. They won. It wored. And now they're winning again because Ford has to dump big resources into the R to protect the reputation of the brand. They can't afford to do quick and dirty. So FCA tricks a competitor into burning lots of energy on the last gasp of a dying technology instead of working on the next opportunity. From where I sit it looks like Ford is getting beaten on all fronts. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not very confident in that.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so. This is a fight between paper tigers. Look at how the TRX was designed. It wasn't designed for any real purpose other than to be "bigger" than the Raptor in every possible way. An inch or so longer, wider, and taller. 100 pounds more payload and towing capacity. A monster motor. Anywhere something was specified, FCA tried to "beat" it. If it was cheap and easy. Matching, much less exceeding the performance of the transfer case would have been expensive, so they blew it off. And yes, the TRX rear suspension is much better than gen 2. But ... it was basically free since RAM has coil springs in the back already. At least it got Ford off their butt to lose the leaf springs.

That ship has sailed. People who really want one last fling with a blown V8 will buy the TRX. I'll bet most have probably already bought a TRX. By the time the R is released, the economy is likely to be slowing with interest rates rising. Gas prices are likely to be high. If Ford is planning to sell them by the thousands, I think they will be disappointed. It may also be a mistake to sell them by the thousands. Doing the project right takes money and there will still be plenty of things breaking in the first generation. Ford has shown a willingness to cut corners, the rear leaf springs are exhibit A. The "stock" gen 2 that ran Baja had a full leaf pack but the production trucks had crap. Pulling moves like that on a 700hp trophy truck that people are going to hoon hard if they're affordable and available? Wreckage. Public wreckage. Much better to have a truck so exclusive that most buyers keep them pristine in climate-controlled garages.

I will point out that my opinion is worth every penny I'm being paid. :) But given recent history, I think I've got at least as good a shot of being right as the Ford marketing department. Which is sad. I'd give better than even odds that Ford is being played. FCA threw together something in a big hurry when the market looked right. Yes, they'd been messing with ideas, but the time from green light to shipment was very short. They won. It wored. And now they're winning again because Ford has to dump big resources into the R to protect the reputation of the brand. They can't afford to do quick and dirty. So FCA tricks a competitor into burning lots of energy on the last gasp of a dying technology instead of working on the next opportunity. From where I sit it looks like Ford is getting beaten on all fronts. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not very confident in that.
Very well said

belacyrf

Reaction score
Like many have said, unless the market softens, chips become readily available and the used market normalizes by the time the Raptor R is available. Then 25K ADM is going to be the minimum. If you have the money to burn and your heartset on a Raptor R, then take it. It's sketchy, but someone else will if you dont. But I'd get it in writing.

Last edited:

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just guessing, but if the R is supposed to be a response to the TRX, does it meet it's purpose if only the few elite/lucky can obtain one? Maybe it does in some people's mind. I'm just thinking that if Ford is losing Raptor sales to the TRX as has been the claim, those customers who want a V8 will still get a TRX if they can't get an R.
Exactly the point. The Raptor R is not a competitor to the TRX if it’s price is $150k…. Not to mention no verification if it will be street legal. The bronco raptor r is not street legal and ford flubbed the intro of the gen 3 raptor by stating the r was off road only. In any case, I don’t think ford marketing is all that bright, so my bet is that there is still nothing to compete with the TRX.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly the point. The Raptor R is not a competitor to the TRX if it’s price is $150k…. Not to mention no verification if it will be street legal. The bronco raptor r is not street legal and ford flubbed the intro of the gen 3 raptor by stating the r was off road only. In any case, I don’t think ford marketing is all that bright, so my bet is that there is still nothing to compete with the TRX.
The current Raptor does just fine against the TRX off road.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt Ford is going to make an exclusive off road F-150 Raptor, that’s not street legal. They are not Polaris or Can-Am.
Even the GT is street legal.

What makes the Bronco Raptor not street legal?

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on trusted sources at FP and a close relationship with a higher up at a high volume dealer, nobody knows when the R will be released. I have tried every avenue to secure one with no luck. They have been exceptionally honest with me and straightforward from the beginning and told me do not bother trying to place a deposit, we don't know if we're getting one and we haven't heard a thing either.

I wouldn't be putting a deposit down anywhere, all you're doing is giving the dealer free cash flow... why on earth would you do that.