Raptor R, all time 4 wheel drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubledown

Reaction score
Wow....I can't believe this. Full-time AWD is a deal breaker for me. I would never buy a TRX because of that and would hesitate on a G2 Raptor because Baja mode defaults to 4x4 (I'm still unclear if you can force RWD after entering Baja). How do you easily slide sideways in 4WD/AWD? It certainly takes a lot more fuel/speed to do it.
You can absolutely switch to 2wd in Baja mode.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
“skills lacking”? What a joke. It is the 2wd that you like. It’s the ability to smoke up the rear tires that you really like. That doesn’t take any skill other than poking the throttle and hanging on to try and keep it out of the ditch.

If you’re into showboating like drifting then 2wd, essentially rwd, is the only thing that works. If you’re into maximum acceleration, cornering precision, and quickness then AWD has no equal. Simple physics.
I'm not into burning rubber with my Raptor "R", and I'm definitely not going to be entering it into a Rally Racing Course either, which describes what you are talking about. Nope, I'm referring to driving a Raptor offroad only, so if deep sand or snow comes my way, I can switch to 4H if needed. A offroad truck designed like a Raptor does not need 4A, that is purely for the average consumer who drives on the street on slippery surfaces, and you will not convince me otherwise, but, go ahead and try :) . Again, the original question was will FORD copy DUHDODGE and go with 4A only!! My response is a big fat NOOOOOO!!!!

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not into burning rubber with my Raptor "R", and I'm definitely not going to be entering it into a Rally Racing Course either, which describes what you are talking about. Nope, I'm referring to driving a Raptor offroad only, so if deep sand or snow comes my way, I can switch to 4H if needed. A offroad truck designed like a Raptor does not need 4A, that is purely for the average consumer who drives on the street on slippery surfaces, and you will not convince me otherwise, but, go ahead and try :) . Again, the original question was will FORD copy DUHDODGE and go with 4A only!! My response is a big fat NOOOOOO!!!!
Someone had to say it. :)

BlacknTan

Reaction score
Wow....I can't believe this. Full-time AWD is a deal breaker for me. I would never buy a TRX because of that and would hesitate on a G2 Raptor because Baja mode defaults to 4x4 (I'm still unclear if you can force RWD after entering Baja). How do you easily slide sideways in 4WD/AWD? It certainly takes a lot more fuel/speed to do it.

you can switch back to 2WD from Baja mode. At Raptor Assault they’ll tell you that’s the quickest mode for the truck—-Baja mode, then select 2WD

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can switch back to 2WD from Baja mode. At Raptor Assault they’ll tell you that’s the quickest mode for the truck—-Baja mode, then select 2WD
I thought that was the case, but I had heard both you can and you can't. Not having a Gen2, I never bothered to confirm.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Raptor Assault four days ago. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME COURSE!!! If you are eligible and even thinking about missing it DON’T!!!
Yes, we jumped the Raptor in Baja mode with two wheel drive selected by switching mode control on the steering wheel to Baja mode and then rotating the rotary selector to two wheel drive. Then you can push the center button in the rotary knob to turn off the rear locker so the the light in the button goes out. At least that’s how I remember it. There is so much info coming at you so fast in that course. I wish it was two full days of actual instruction!

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
This is not my area of expertise, but my understanding is that Ram mandated full-time 4WD in the TRX due to concerns about the power constantly hitting just the rear axle.

For those smarter than me: is this legitimate, and if so, why wouldn't it also be a concern with the Raptor R?
I had a Challenger Hellcat, and launching that thing was a bitch. A pickup with zero weight over the back and 700hp just sounds bad on all levels.